All my hens are bald!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sadies0111, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I've read about hens having bald spots on their backs from being a favorite of the roo...but I have 4 hens to 1 rooster, and they all have huge bald spots, some even have feathers worn off of the tops of their wings. Is this normal, or is my rooster a little crazy? Non of the girls seem to be hurt, or mind having him mate with them so often, and they are all laying everyday. It live in WI, so it is starting to get cold, and I don't know if I should make saddles for all my hens or to make Sal into chicken soup. Any suggestions would be good. Thanks.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It is normal, but I personally like a pretty hen, so I'd make him soup, if you don't want to breed or hatch eggs.......

Maybe if you bought five more hens, then he'd have more girlfriends and it would be a bit less trama for each hen...

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds like a winner to me. More chickens is Always the way to go!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, you could do the saddle thing or maybe trim his spurs and nails.

4. sadies0111

Nov 18, 2010
    Adding hens is a good suggestion, but our coop is pretty small, so even though they have an enormous run, I don't want to crowd them, since they spend so much time inside during the winter months.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    More hens,saddles for the hens you have, or cull that rooster.

6. sadies0111

Nov 18, 2010
    Okay, I was just reading through some other threads, and some people said that sometimes feathers won't grow back until after they molt. This is my first batch of chickens, and they are all nearing a year old, and have been laying regularly for 6-7 months. When can I expect them to molt?

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They usually have their first full molt during their second Autumn.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You have the answers. This type of chicken saddle works well.

[​IMG]

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It seems to me like some breeds have more feather breakage than others. One flock with multiple breeds and only the delaware sex links end up half bald! For right now there is only one breeding age roo and 23 hens so lack of hens is not the problem....

10. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    How do you know if it is a roo doing the pecking vs. other chickens?

We have a number of our hens (maybe 5 or so) with bald spots above and around their tails. Never seen the actual pecking though, so we've been allowing them 100% free range during the day, trying the blukote, etc but nothing seems to be helping. I hadn't even thought about the roos - we have 2 roos and 17 hens. Would the roos peck the hens like that (around the tail, inc tail) or in another way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by