all of a sudden very dark comb, lethargic, wont stand/drink, just laying there

daviechik

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Plantation Acres
we thought maybe she was egg bound so took her to our local chicken friend and he palpated her and said to HIM it seems like if she is egg bound its WAY up there (unreachable) she may have had a rupture and the egg is in her uterus or something else going on and suggested we put her on antibiotics... I took her home and put her on a heating pad where shes currently sleeping (With temp gauge so i know how hot it is) and is just laying there, shes breathing but man shes in a rough spot.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts as to what it might be? We soaked her in warm water (her bum) for 30 minutes, she is a free ranger in the afternoon and my fear is she may have gotten a hold of something. shes not panting, her breathing is even and of appropriate speed.

how can i get fluids into a bird that isnt interested in drinking?!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. A dark comb could possibly have indicated a heart problem....lack of oxygen in the blood. Without a necropsy you wont know for sure.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss
sad.png

Sorry Daviechik, We lost ours too (last night) after giving her a good looking over we noticed the vent area was full of fluid - not sure if we have the same thing going on but sure looks the same - I don't know if an egg broke inside or what. Again, sorry for your loss. - Lea (DanLeaAnn7)

I had this with a hen.Second one with a fluid like mass in the front.One had it in the back end .Some people drain the fliud,and the hen lives for some time. I just dispatched mine.For me there was no sense dragging it out like I did other times.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom