Its difficult to seal every hole in a coop or run. Doors are tricky. I adjusted the pop up door on my coop multiple times before finally removing it.Every time it rained hard the wood would swell and wouldn't shut properly.If I let a big enough gap to allow for it to swell a weasel could get inside the coop. I finally put hinges and latches on it.

Good not to get involved if they're neglecting animals in the first place they're probably not gonna pay mind to you or anyone other than authorities (if that). Good on you to let Animal Control deal with it, that's why they're paid to control this kind of thing. So many people want to confront neighbors and I get that, but gone seem to be the days where things could be resolved on a personal civil level with out guns, poisonings, and courts.

I'm so sorry. You have every right to feel angry and sad. :hugs I really dislike it when dog owners aren't responsible. Is the one chicken alright?
AC's can advise you whether the dog owners are liable for the dead chicks at a cost to replace age wise. Not chicks. Also if dogs can run at large. Seems you did responsible part. Problem is people not the dogs.

I’m so disappointed and sad and angry. My neighbors dogs climbed our 6 foot fencing that’s around our whole yard, got past our electric fencing somehow and into our chicken run and killed every single one of our chickens except for one. I don’t even know how they got into my chicken run. I’m just so angry and sad. Neglectful neighbors who constantly let their dogs roam free in our neighborhood. Currently dealing with animal control now, but nothing can replace them. 😭😭😭
That’s three obstacles they had to get past and somehow they still managed to kill them all. I was really looking forward to not doing chicks this year, but it’s unfortunately looking like we’re going to have to. So upsetting. I thought for sure we had our yard predator proof. Apparently not.
You can sue the neighbor for the cost of your chickens and future cost of lost eggs. It adds up and maybe if you hit him where it hurts him, his pocket, he will put his dog up!

I’m so disappointed and sad and angry. My neighbors dogs climbed our 6 foot fencing that’s around our whole yard, got past our electric fencing somehow and into our chicken run and killed every single one of our chickens except for one. I don’t even know how they got into my chicken run. I’m just so angry and sad. Neglectful neighbors who constantly let their dogs roam free in our neighborhood. Currently dealing with animal control now, but nothing can replace them. 😭😭😭
That’s three obstacles they had to get past and somehow they still managed to kill them all. I was really looking forward to not doing chicks this year, but it’s unfortunately looking like we’re going to have to. So upsetting. I thought for sure we had our yard predator proof. Apparently not.
I am so, so, so sorry. I absolutely hate people who cannot control their dogs.
I know this is bad for me to say this at this time, but if you own guns or bows and arrow, you have every right to shoot a dog or cat attacking livestock on your property, because livestock and pets are classified as property in all 50 states, you have a lot of rights. Again, I am very sorry that it happened to you.

EDIT: You also have the right to sue, because chickens are livestock, and again are considered property, you can sue for property damage and emotional upset.

Depending on the breed, you may get 250$ per hen killed

But also remember that laws and stuff change with ordinance, that means where you live

I am so, so, so sorry. I absolutely hate people who cannot control their dogs.
I know this is bad for me to say this at this time, but if you own guns or bows and arrow, you have every right to shoot a dog or cat attacking livestock on your property, because livestock and pets are classified as property in all 50 states, you have a lot of rights. Again, I am very sorry that it happened to you.

EDIT: You also have the right to sue, because chickens are livestock, and again are considered property, you can sue for property damage and emotional upset.

Depending on the breed, you may get 250$ per hen killed

But also remember that laws and stuff change with ordinance, that means where you live
Also contact the county commission and ask how to be re-compensated for your "livestock" losses caused by dog(s).You can't collect for your own dog but you can collect for your neighbors dog killing your chickens and other livestock.I'm not sure if every county has a livestock fund but I think they do. The county will then turn around and go after the dog owner(s) after paying you.You have a short window of opportunity to file and collect and must have proof of losses.You can still sue for anything "above" what the county pays you.If you have 500 in losses but the county only pays you a 100 you can sue for 400

Edit: The county never "volunteers" this information about having a fund for livestock losses.Its one of those things they only tell their friends about.

Last edited:
Yesterday, same. Dog climbed the fence, tore through the netting, killed 9 of 10. I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. This was my first flock and I loved them individually. Lots of tears and guilt.

Back
Top Bottom