All of my ducks were killed last night!

The tuna fish may work. The other stuff is not attractive to a mink. Part of a duck or sardines might have been better bait. Set the trap right against the side of the pen. They will work the side of the pen looking for an entry point. Good luck.

I wish you the best of luck trapping this varmint!

I feel your pain. Earlier this year, I lost 7 of my 12 ducks over several days to a bobcat. We trapped it humanely, and Arizona Game and Fish relocated him about 30 miles away (roughly - they wouldn't give specifics) but it came back a week later. Here's a pic of him in the trap before we sent him to his happy hunting ground . . . .

17339_bob1.jpg

And I don't think we lost a single chicken, either.

Again, Good Luck!

Bryan

It's early Tuesday am about 6:45.......I can still see him sniffing around so apparently has apprehension about the trap. Today is grocery day so I just might get a can of sardines......they are pretty stinky.

I also was thinking about a cover for our live drain in the garage. It has a grate over it but plenty big enough for a mink to venture in and out without detection. Now I am wondering why the insulation was pulled from over the electrical panel.

So 3 potential openings: live drain, above the electrical panel and the back sliding door.

How long should I wait before calling in the professionals? I don't want to spend the extra money, but......

I would give it a few nights - hate to say it but the mink (was it?) has had a big feed, he probably isnt that desperate at the moment to feed again so may not tackle the trap... but not too sure how it is with minks. Most predators are pretty smart and if they don't need to, wont risk much. I might be wrong though...
but yeah maybe just wait a few nights before calling in the big guys?

I'm actually surprised it came back so quickly. Maybe it has a small territory, but usually they visit the same place once a week or so. I would give it some time.

A mink may be what got one of our Khaki Campbells. One morning, inside the pen, there was a duck head laying on the ground, with no duck. We had 10 Khakis in a chicken wire enclosure. It was weird, seeing only the head there, and the rest gone- no feathers either. I told my husband I thought it was a weasel or a mink- we have them here in northwestern PA, Crawford County to be exact. Also, I am so sorry for your loss. What a gluttonous animal.

I've been reading up on the critters and it seems that the weasel type like to pull off heads, while the mink likes to bite the neck and suck blood.

In any case, if I ever get my hands on that little ***#@@, he's toast!

Question: If there is no more "food" for the mink, will he go away?

I have no more ducks, and the chickens are in the house. The only thing alive left in the garage/barn is the horses. All grain bins are galvanized cans and no other food source (except any mice or rats).
caf.gif

Ah ha! Found were he and "others" may be getting in! There is an outdoor wood boiler that heats our house as well as the garage. There is a bundle of PEX tubing etc coming in the side of the garage RIGHT BEHIND WHERE THE DUCK POOLS ARE!

On the inside you can see where there is insulation and drywall being chewed away. I put in a piece of hardware cloth to deter but didn't seal it....yet. Set the trap with some chicken feathers (thanks girls!) and a couple pieces of sardines.
I put the trap on top of the chicken coop he likes to frequent from other observations.

Now we will see! I've got the camera aimed at the trap on top of the coop.

Looks like all the other "entrances" are not the problem after all. Smart ass rodents!

Back
Top Bottom