All of the sudden, zero eggs in a pen of 5 hens.

3's not that old, but could be the breed.

Ya just never know what those darn chickens are gonna do!
Haha yeah. I have some friends who want to come see my chickens because they can't believe I have real chickens in Boston. I'm pretty sure they haven't seen chickens before, just my pictures of my gorgeous, smooth, shiny, basketball-shaped giant English Orps. Which look like roadkill right now. I can imagine the shock and the questions :lol:

When I notice my hens laying less in late summer and early fall I turn the light timers back on for supplemental light to maintain day length, It usually returns them closer to normal laying. However, I have had snakes stealing eggs before and other oddball things and rats eating eggs as well, but the rats always left a bit of a mess from eating the eggs in place in the nest. The snakes leave little trace they have been there. Making efforts to control rodents and prevent snakes entering the coops, if possible, are important first steps as well. best wishes for your success!

Mine stopped laying and started molting super early this year, earlier than in previous years. Maybe it was the heat, though last summer was hotter and drier than this summer and they didn't start so early. So maybe it's that
I'm in NC. It's still summer here. But I'll watch for molting before I tear their pen apart looking for signs of snake.
I'm in NC. It's still summer here. But I'll watch for molting before I tear their pen apart looking for signs of snake.
When our girls got older, 4 years on, thear molting schedule and pattern changed. Sometimes, earlier, sometimes later. Our almost 10 year old used to have a very hard molt, like T-Rex looking molt. Nowadays she just looks raggedy, but not necessarily in the fall.

Haha yeah. I have some friends who want to come see my chickens because they can't believe I have real chickens in Boston. I'm pretty sure they haven't seen chickens before, just my pictures of my gorgeous, smooth, shiny, basketball-shaped giant English Orps. Which look like roadkill right now. I can imagine the shock and the questions :lol:

Roadkill!! Our Goldie, used to look like a miniature T-Rex in the fall, when she was younger.

I love to see people’s reactions, when i tell them I have chickens. I lived in San Francisco for many years, where they have chicken “ninjas”. You hear about them, but never see them. They only tell you they have them, but in whispers.

I never dreamed I would have chickens myself, but now I’m in the burbs, I can have them - 3 at mostly anyway.

I would think about their age...my first batch gradually stopped laying around 2 years or so.
I also would think about do you leave the coop open while they free range? (I found out my dog was getting in the coop while they free ranged and was getting eggs).
So my next question is do you have a dog? (My dog looks too big to get in the coop but she can.
I also made a point to check my coop every time the "egg" song stopped. (because of the above naughty dog)
Are they molting
Is the weather getting colder for them.

Just a few things to think about. :)

I would think about their age...my first batch gradually stopped laying around 2 years or so.
I also would think about do you leave the coop open while they free range? (I found out my dog was getting in the coop while they free ranged and was getting eggs).
So my next question is do you have a dog? (My dog looks too big to get in the coop but she can.
I also made a point to check my coop every time the "egg" song stopped. (because of the above naughty dog)
Are they molting

I have a very sneaky old and smart white Labrador that is an artist at stealing eggs from me! If I set the egg basket down and get busy he is watching for a chance to steal some eggs!

When I notice my hens laying less in late summer and early fall I turn the light timers back on for supplemental light to maintain day length, It usually returns them closer to normal laying. However, I have had snakes stealing eggs before and other oddball things and rats eating eggs as well, but the rats always left a bit of a mess from eating the eggs in place in the nest. The snakes leave little trace they have been there. Making efforts to control rodents and prevent snakes entering the coops, if possible, are important first steps as well. best wishes for your success!
I found ants in the nest today. Going to go dust some DE in there now. They laid one on the ground today and two in an alternate nest spot in the pen. Apparently the regular nest box is tainted.

Are they molting

We do have 3 bird dogs--crazy, I know. He loves to bird hunt; I love to grow birds. SOOOOoo, if our dogs got into a pen, they would be bringing us dead birds. I carefully kennel the dogs during free-range time!

And yes, now I've tagged some of these gals for culling. Gotta make room for the 18 youngsters I have coming along. Spring we should have eggs aplenty!

Back
Top Bottom