All the Christian Homeschoolers!

Hi,

We are not homeschooled and went through the traditional public school system. We do have 2 little boys and the oldest just finishing up his first year homeschooling. He loves and he made major developments. It is an adventure for us too and not just for our kids. We are doing Classical Conversations and my kids love it. I like how they teach content and wish I had the chance.

Math has not been my problem. My problem were the language subjects. I ended up with a Master degree in Mechanical engineering and then topped it of with being a certified Welding engineer. My next goal will be a PhD.

We are happy our kids discovered that learning is fun and wanting to know everything.
It's so great that you're homeschooling your kids! I've heard of Classical Conversations, but we never did it. My mother used Tapestry or Grace for a good portion of things when we were young.

Well, it since it seems like everyone’s going up to the front of class and making introductions, I guess I will too. :rolleyes:

Hi all, my name is Matty.
Y’all can call me BR, MJ, Blue, etc. whatever you want.
I (shocker!) have nine siblings and we’re all homeschooled. Only I went to public preschool, and I only remember my teacher’s name, the classroom, and a girl I didn’t like for some reason. :D
We use a curriculum called My Father’s World. Our dad is (back) in the army as a chaplain, and we got stationed in Germany so sadly I don’t have chickens anymore.
I think we used that curriculum for a while! Good old days. If it is what I'm thinking it is, I enjoyed it.
Sad about your no longer having chickens. :( Hopefully you can start your own new flock in the future.

Oof, that's a toughie. The three I've read are Around the World in 80 Days, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (duh) and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I like Around the World in 80 Days. It's suspenseful, action-packed, has a great storyline, and it really keeps your attention. For some reason though, it never drew me as much as the other two though.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is awesome whenever Arronax isn't describing in-depth detail of the life history of every single species and individual of every single organism they notice out of the corner of their eye during the entire voyage.

Journey of the Center of the Earth-- the first part of the book is kinda tough to get through, mostly because it just isn't nearly as exciting as when they actually finally start going underground. But once they do, I can not put that book down. It's great.
Listening to Around the World in 80 Days are some of my favorite schooling memories. I love that book! I think I've read it twice since. I've heard of the others but never read them. I don't think we own Journey to the Center of the Earth, which is surprising, considering the whole entire library my mom has collected over the years. 😂

Hello! How does a Montessori school work? I've done certain "Montessori" curriculums, but never heard of a school.

Ugh, yes, I totally understand that. At a certain point it was just awful and boring. Too much to remember!

Haha, you're absolutely right, they are a disguise. Sci-fi is great, I've grown up watching it and occasionally reading. My favorite Christian sci-fi book is "Logic's End".

I've occasionally had a taste of what it's like to be an only child, when I've spent a couple weeks with my grandparents(my mother is their only child). Of course it's not really the same, but it's still sooo different from the constant noise and split attention.

I feel that. All I know is that what I want to do has to involve horses.

I'm glad you're here!
For middle school, Montessori works kind of the same as regular middle schools since Maria Montessori didn’t plan the curriculum to go that far. However, elementary/ lower classes work very differently. Each class (30 ish kids) has two teachers who teach all the subjects. All the kids stay in the same classroom, instead of transitioning to different rooms at different blocks. The teaching method is different (I don’t know how well I could describe it, not having gone to a public school), but we have different hands-on ”materials” that teach each subject. For example, we learn division using the “racks and tubes” which are just tubes with beads in them. Addition/subtraction is taught using an abacus. The materials are really the key of the Montessori method, expressed by Maria Montessori‘s famous quote “what the hand does, the mind remembers.”

Sorry, that’s probably a little more (or a lot more) than you wanted to know about the Montessori method. I guess I’m a little proud 😅.

Hello all, I guess I will join the club. I’ve been homeschooling since COVID, I originally went to a private Montessori school. During the pandemic, we went to online classes (zoom), and I discovered that I am pretty good at working from home. However, the kids on the zoom class were disruptive (As middle schoolers can be), so I left Montessori entirely and have been doing my own thing for 3 years now.

My favorite subject often changes, I just know that I don’t like math. I just finished Algebra 2. I used to like English but parts of speech/ participles and all that nonsense have sucked some of the fun out of it for me. I still enjoy writing (essays/ usual schoolwork, journaling, and one ongoing fiction story project).

I feel the need to say that I hate romance books of any kind. HATE. I stopped reading fantasy almost entirely because it is just romance disguised as fantasy once you get past middle school-level reading. I lean more towards sci-fi these days, but I otherwise don’t read that much.

I, unlike others, thoroughly appreciate the lack of social interaction. I can pick and choose who/ when I want to hang out with, unlike in real school, where you get stuck with the same idiots your whole life. Of course, this is easy for me to say as an only child.

Although I don’t know “what I want to be when I grow up”, I am working hard to get into a good college (not ivy league level, but NC state or…I don’t know what else, really). Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort is worth it.

Anyways, that’s me. That turned out to be a whole book practically :lol:, guess I do really like writing.
What?! I had no idea you were homeschooled! I thought you were like 30 😅
Ok, some tags. Not sure how many of these guys will want to say anything, there have been sooooo many homeschooling threads and pms that it gets a little old. But here goes!
@AmeraucanaHank @Bakbuk @Blue Raptor @cluckmecoop7 @Chickengirl2671 @Chikyboy @Fuchsia @Lovely Lettie @Pampered chicken girl @Sc_chickengirl @The-White-Elephant @Tookie @Yard farmer and sorry to anyone I missed…
Somehow I missed this tag! Hi! I'm a Christian homeschooler!

Also, I was wondering if I could pick people’s brains about their (rough) school schedule? I spend the equivalent of a full public school day (7 hours) doing my work and ALL the homeschoolers I know finish their work within a few hours or so. What am I doing wrong? Am I just doing more work?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom