All the Christian Homeschoolers!

Interesting. I've always considered public education to be completely worthless. I know 8 year olds right now in school that cannot read, while my 6 year old reads books easily despite being homeschooled

All information is freely available on the internet now, so the only thing schools need to do is instill a genuine love for learning, some discipline, and some work ethic, but they don't

Schools merely make children hate learning

Public schools are prisons for kids that prepare children for a lifetime of wageslavery working 40+ hours a week. Homework on the other hand is preparing children for working unpaid overtime as employees in the future

Heh same, I need to exit gracefully. We should probably have a parent's homeschooling thread somewhere

I think it's a very individual thing. In my case, I got a very good education from being homeschooled. Better than any of my public-schooled peers. There were some factors that made it successful - my parents actively wanted to homeschool us, my mother was an intelligent woman who did a very good job, we were heavily involved in a church community and christian homeschooling groups so I got a lot of structured social activity, I had many siblings so was not alone, I had outside interests that other adults supported me in so I spent a lot of time outside the home with other people, and I was very self-motivated child with a huge amount of curiosity.

None of these factors apply to my situation with my daughter, so I chose a small local school where those important factors - work ethic, love of learning, respect, morals, are a very important part of the school culture. That being said, I had to teach her to read myself over the summer vacation when she was 5, as she still couldn't read properly six months after beginning school. Obviously a child is going to get a better education if taught one-on-one. It has just been my experience that many of my home-schooled peers were taught at home due to an ideology, and their outcomes were not good in many cases. Nobody in the homeschooling community I grew up with (and this is a lot of kids, over 30) chose to homeschool their own children when they had them. That does speak some volume I feel.

In life everything has positives and negatives. I feel it's important to acknowledge both aspects of a thing, and be mindful of how you do mitigate the negatives. There are negatives to NOT homeschooling, and I try to mitigate those by remaining connected to our school community and aware of what my daughter is and isn't learning, so I can fill in any gaps.

Nobody in the homeschooling community I grew up with (and this is a lot of kids, over 30) chose to homeschool their own children when they had them. That does speak some volume I feel.
It's a meme as ancient as time that children always do the opposite of their parents. I personally hope to break this cycle, but I know that anything I force upon my children will likely be rejected forever if not merely for decades

You can guess but I doubt any of yall will know🤣

i get to go to tn soon, for context we have property there and i love it so so so much ☺️
oh fun!
my parents want property there too but it would be more like a place to live most of the year to avoid NY taxes. I'm not at all in favor of that though. Dont ask me why. I have a reason but it's more of an emotion that cant easily be put into words.

oh fun!
my parents want property there too but it would be more like a place to live most of the year to avoid NY taxes.
we are wanting to go there 6 months out of the year and eventually move there. I can imagine NY taxes are high
I'm not at all in favor of that though. Dont ask me why. I have a reason but it's more of an emotion that cant easily be put into words.
Aw, sorry

Back
Top Bottom