All those readers ie. nook, kindle

BBK

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
upstate NY
I think i want one, but i really don't know much about them or which one. i know there are different ones.

So, What's your preference? And WHY?
Costs efficient?

IDK...thanks
Melinda

I was recently given a Sony reader and I love it!! It is so much easier to use than I thought it would be. A fellow BYCer recommended an online library where you can down load the classics for free even! I can purchase books through the Borders online store and they cost about the same as a paperback would.

The Amazon Kindle has a great reputation. I think you can only buy Kindle books from them, which isn't a big deal. I know the Kindle books will not work on my Sony though.

I would say just figure out the easiest way for you to get books and buy the unit that works with that.

Good luck!

My mom has one of those Nook things from Barnes and Noble. It cost about $200 I think. She said it is great, but you have to buy all the books for like a dollar each. Then after she bought it, she realized that the library was perfectly funtional and free. She bought it on an impulse. She loves it, but you have to just keep spending money.

I have had a kindle for about a year and wouldn't trade it. There are a lot of free downloadable books from Amazon plus most others cost less than a third the regular price (this is coming from a novelist, btw
smile.png
) The biggest advantage is that I can get a book instantaneously rather than traveling 40 miles to B & N. Now I don't have snowy winter evenings with nothing to read.

thanks....but LOL all of you have said something about each one.. there's only 3, right???

Do all of these have to be downloaded first to your desktop? I know that at least one of them does, I can't remember which one .

I'm sure they all come with hardcovers, or do you buy them too? Can they talk too. like read a book? just wondering about that.

Cost
Nook $200.00
Kindle
Sony

Melinda

thanks for your help..

I keep looking at them but can't quite get myself to take the plunge. My eyes are showing their age and I am having problems with print size. BUT ... I like books. I like that I can loan them to others and get them back later. I like that titles I have had for 40 years are still right on my bookshelf and I can reread them at any time. I like that when my shelves are full, I can stack new titles on the floor until I build new shelves. Currently I have about 2000 books. i have not heard of a reader that would hold that many titles. Is there one? And what happens to the books you bought for this reader version when the next version comes out...or the one after that? I am remembering all the computer files I downloaded years ago that I can no longer access because my new computer doesn't read anything that old. Then there are the hundreds of vcr tapes on my shelves and since my vcr took a dump I can no longer play them. I'm just worried that will happen with this new technology too. But my books are always readable.

I'm just torn cause I know how convenient the new readers are.....!

Rusty
idunno.gif

For $150, plus free shipping, you can get the most recent iTouch from Apple.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC086?mco=MTM3NzY1NzA
It's refurbished BY Apple, and has a full warranty. It's small enough to toss in your purse, has WiFi, Bluetooth, email, etc, and you can do so much MORE than just read a book. I bought mine refurbed from Apple 2 years ago, and I've never had a problem with it
big_smile.png
Also, Congress just passed a law that makes it legal to jailbreak digital devices (That is, to open the software coding in order to use 3rd party applications). This means that you don't have to PAY for apps anymore, unless you really like the software and feel like supporting the developer. It's very easy - simply go to
www.jailbreakme.com
on your iTouch (or iPhone), follow the prompts, and it does it for you. This process is reversible as well. It adds an app that lets you browse and find themes (cool backgrounds and new app icons) and games, books, e-readers, etc. Almost anything that's in Apple's App Store! Getting an iTouch is DEFINITELY the most bang for your buck! You can bring your music, photos, games, books, notes, email, stock reports, weather info, etc with you, and even make Skype calls over WiFi, to anywhere in the world
smile.png
Also, iTouchs (and I can vouch) are almost indestructible. Short of pouring water straight into the connection port, there's not much that will damage them. I've dropped mine, flung it, splashed water on it, dented it, sat on it....and it just keeps going
smile.png
In the event that it DOES break after the warranty is up, they're relatively cheap to repair. My fiance fixes iTouchs/iPhones etc, and a new LCD screen, parts and labour, is $60 CDN.
Here's a quick pic of some customization I did after jailbreaking my iPod:
W2mvi.png

I used the Leaf theme, and posted my own picture in the background. The theme changed some of the standard icon to a soft green, with leaves
smile.png
I wouldn't give my iTouch up for anything!

Rusty,
you raise some great questions, that i didn't even think of...OMG...the after life...!

Rosecity... I'm afraid you've lost me... jailbreaking is something new, I've never heard of it in a tech chat. only in the news and movies,books...

I like the look of your iphone, but i don't see your app or books on it, do you have one? I guess that's where i lost you too...But I don't think i want all of that in one. I just wanted to read. plus we don't get really great service where i live. so, my phone only works as a phone!

keep the info coming tho...
Melinda

I have a nook and LOVE it! It is so easy to get new books, and is just 100% amazing!

It is only $200, with a Wifi only version for $150.00. I almost got a Sony Touch Edition, but decided on this one and am glad I did!

When you are in B&N, you can read any book for free!

What would be the best one for someone thats computer illerate?
I NEED easy downloading...
And do the books upload to your PC first... if so..i dont want that..i want it to go directly to the device...
How do they work?

Back
Top Bottom