all who are hatching quail

congrats on the success

Congratulations! Hopefully with a few more practice I can achieve that as well. What you said makes a lot of sense because there are articles that say that eggs from higher altitude are different shell-wise than those at sea level because birds and their eggs will try to adapt to the environment in order to survive.

most of my quail hatch at 17 days but it also depends on age of eggs when they are started for incubatation process if you have eggs older then 7 days they can take longer to hatch so if you are like me and wait until you have good batch to hatch you will want to give some of the older eggs extra time. as far as what you have quoted never have heard that and i have been around poultry since i was 4 yrs old and now approaching 43. my dad and i used to hatch in old sears incubator that used light bulb for heat. we would always give extra few days. just incase we did something wrong during incubation period. i am at 5700 ft elevation never even took that into consideration to tell you the truth i have always kept my humidity lower until last 4 days and then get it up high. if you have it to high during incubation i have seen issue with feet and legs be weak and deformed in chicks. i know my dad used to go no water until last 4 days of cycle. he believed that to much humidity cause to many legs issues (where i get it from). he's raised birds all my life i didnt start doing anything with them until i was around 4-5 yrs old. i hatched out lots of coturnix in my life, not to mention chickens and pheasents we use to hatch out 3000 ringnecks a year for our farm in southern idaho. only i do different is quail and pheasent i have temp at 99.5 and chickens i bump it to 100.5. use this if you want hopefully it works for you works for me. some might disagree with me and that is fine, not saying my way is the perfect way but it works for me.

I will take experience over science any day. Thank you for taking the time to share this. I will be setting some Silkie eggs after. I will give it up to day 20 (I did collect the eggs for this batch longer because I just wanted the 14 grams & over in size so will give them more time). And I will use the humidity and temp you suggested.

Yes, Still only one chic. I decided to take them all out and candle them and they all had something in them. I had about 3 eggs seem to be moving on the counter while I was candling the others. So I am waiting to say the least. I spoke to soon, after leaving you this message earlier I went in there and 2 more where hatched...so I am going to leave them all alone for a few more days and see what happens.

Last edited:
Not at all! I catch myself looking in the bator often, even when its just an egg to look at :/

That's exactly what I'm doing! I'm constantly looking at the temp and making sure the turner is turning...it's going to be a long 2 weeks!

I'm also waiting on another incubator to come and then 6 turkey eggs...with all the bad weather, I think eggs and new life are bringing a little spring into my days. :)

I sat staring at mine when they were in the incubator. Towards the end, I swear I saw them move, but my husband didn't believe me. They did move. I was totally right!

My husband thinks I'm a little nutso, but I find my kids right next to me staring into the bator as well...we must all be nutso, or excited for new fuzzy butts!

Back
Top Bottom