Allergies or Respiratory disease?

DarlingFarmGirl

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Can high winds or too much dust cause "allergies"? I have a 10 month old pullet that initially started with a cough sound about 3 wks ago. 3 days ago she displayed (that day and the day before were exceptionally windy) tiny bubbles on the inside of one and some wetness on her nostrils. Today her eyes appear teary (nostrils appear clear), but not bubbly like before. She has not been lethargic or swollen from any part of her face, droppings are normal as is her appetite. She has also been separated since initial cough making, and no others are sick in that pen. Sooo, long story short, can they get allergies? Or is she sick?

Chickens usually don't get "allergies." How often do you clean out the coop? Chickens can have respiratory problems if their coop is too dirty and there is too much ammonia/bacteria in the air. Also, if there is any mold in the coop, it can cause Aspergillosis, which is a fungal infection in the lungs.

I clean it fairly often, and it's very well ventilated. No mold that I know of either. If allergies isn't a thing though, I'll just continue monitoring her symptoms.

I clean it fairly often, and it's very well ventilated. No mold that I know of either. If allergies isn't a thing though, I'll just continue monitoring her symptoms.
What about swollen eyes and sneezing/ rattling in the chest sound?
Those are usual symptoms of respiratory illnesses.

No swelling anywhere on face, and has had an occasional sneeze, but definitely not excessive where it should have concerned me. The cough concerned me more, and at the time she seemed to also have a stickiness in her mouth, but this was all about 3 wks ago. Only additional symptom that's occurred since then are the watery eyes. She was in a pen with the rest of her flock, and outside of one roo who sounded like he couldn't crow well, no one else has watery eyes or symptoms of RD.

I have 24 others and no one else is sick. This all started a while back.

If this is respiratory, are there diseases that move and present themselves slowly?? I figured when she initially had her cough, that she would have been very ill by now. She isn't.

No swelling anywhere on face, and has had an occasional sneeze, but definitely not excessive where it should have concerned me. The cough concerned me more, and at the time she seemed to also have a stickiness in her mouth, but this was all about 3 wks ago. Only additional symptom that's occurred since then are the watery eyes. She was in a pen with the rest of her flock, and outside of one roo who sounded like he couldn't crow well, no one else has watery eyes or symptoms of RD.

I have 24 others and no one else is sick. This all started a while back.
If this is respiratory, are there diseases that move and present themselves slowly?? I figured when she initially had her cough, that she would have been very ill by now. She isn't.
how old is she? It's possible it could be a genetic problem...that's only thing I can think of because all other diseases would have spread through your flock already.

Back
Top Bottom