Is this a sick chicken

Jackson F

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2023
I have a chicken who is around 12 weeks old who is constantly sneezing and I notice only one of her nostrils has snot in it and is clogged. She is not lethargic and is eating fine. I have quarantined her for 8 days now. Also I have given her vet rx which doesn’t seem to help her. I don’t know if she’s sick or has allergies or what. She seems so sad sitting alone all day and I want to get her back with the flock. Can someone please help me?

Welcome to BYC!

Could you get some pictures of her and her face?
Are any other flock members exhibiting similar behavior?
No, none of the flock mates are doing this behavior. It’s very strange she looks and acts like a normals chicken apart from the sneezing. She has dirt around her nose because it sticks to her snot
5D4A018A-DC91-4DDE-8A55-5938C3FDE03D.jpeg
4B2B0D5B-B08C-41D4-BC4F-AA34C415D38B.jpeg
72781BB8-3D54-41C1-80C2-1D465BAB532D.jpeg

She looks good in those pictures.
About how often does she sneeze?
How did you use the vetrx?
Also, she can go back with the rest of the flock. :)
She sneezes at random and sometimes has an outburst of like 5 or 6. I warmed the vetrx and shook it up then rubbed it under her wings, on her nostrils, and poured some in her mouth. Am I doing this wrong? I will put her back with the group. Any other recommendations?

Most likely she has inhaled dust/dirt from dust bathing and/or has inhaled feed dust when she's been eating. It has clogged or irritated her nares to cause nasal discharge in order clear her nares.
See post #9 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-nostrils-are-full-of-dirt-to-clean-or-not-to-clean.627655/#:~:text=I've found that the best way to clean,was instantly red again, and her nostrils clean.
Oh, is your coop well ventilated? I wonder if she's sneezing cause it's dusty in there or something.
Yes our coop was not well ventilated but we recently made some changes so it would be well ventilated. I just puzzled because she is still sneezing and it’s been 8 days

She sneezes at random and sometimes has an outburst of like 5 or 6. I warmed the vetrx and shook it up then rubbed it under her wings, on her nostrils, and poured some in her mouth. Am I doing this wrong? I will put her back with the group. Any other recommendations?
Ok.
You are using the vetrx correctly.
I don't have any other recommendations. But I would try what @dawg53 linked.

Yes our coop was not well ventilated but we recently made some changes so it would be well ventilated. I just puzzled because she is still sneezing and it’s been 8 days
Glad you have a ventilated coop, it's very important!
Even though it's been 8 days she may still have stuff clogged up.

Back
Top Bottom