Allie & Bino, the albino orpington chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chippysmom327, Apr 5, 2015.

1. HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Thank you! I am only 21, but my husband and I decided from the start that we wanted to reignite the homesteading flame that our grandparents left for us. I come from a chicken and gardening family, he comes from cattle/handy-work/wood-cutting roots. We were sitting down one day and discussing the ways we were brought up, and began to soon talk about homesteading for good. So now I am working from home, and right beside him building (but alone in raising a little garden, haha!) It is very rewarding, and I look back and realize that I spent nearly 6 years of my life working part and full time jobs, never having time to do much. I love where I am now!

I recommend the book "The Backyard Homestead" - excellent starter guide to homesteading!

And as said, I can't wait for more pictures of these babies!
    1 person likes this.
  2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

That's really awesome!!! I'm so happy for you two!

Thanks! More pictures will come for sure!
    1 person likes this.
  3. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    This is very interesting, I will be following this thread! I'm interested in the genetics involved in this, as well as why albino chickens aren't more common.
  4. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure of the genetics, but believe it is recessive. The color birds I get would indicate it is.

Here is a picture from this week's hatch.

These are from both flocks, two generations. There is an albino on the far right.
    The albinos tend to be smaller and slower to develop, particularly the first few days.

You see few albino because they are generally culled since they don't meet SOP. They are more of a novelty.
    2 people like this.
  5. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    I am curious what you are doing with the albinos you are hatching out. I know Chippy is raising hers.
  6. chiques chicks

Mine are one and two weeks. I will also raise them and probably try to work then into some sort of breeding program next year. I'm not sure what that will consist of. I will wait until I determine how they look as adults and decide from there.
    1 person likes this.
  7. chiques chicks

I don't tend to baby my chicks. I like birds that are hardy and strong. I generally do nothing to help chicks hatch. I provide no artificial light or heat to my adult birds. I don't close the windows in my coops even in 0°f weather. Yes. I lose some, but the strongest survive to reproduce.
    Obviously albinos will require some special treatment, especially light related. Other than that, I am told they can reproduce and live normal lives.
    Like chippy, it's a learning experience. Fortunately she is three weeks ahead of me, so I can learn from her. We do discuss this a little off thread. We are in contact.
    1 person likes this.
  8. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I am subscribing to this. I find it fascinating. Good luck to both of you and i am looking forward to pics as they grow.Thank you for sharing this with us.

9. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Thank you for responding. I and watching this thread for further updates!
  10. chiques chicks

Sad to report my second little one didn't make it past day three.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by