Allie & Bino, the albino orpington chicks

It'd be awesome if they were a pair, then I could breed them.

you wouldnt need a pair, you would need their siblings. i mentioned before it seems they are the result of genetics (since you have two) and not a spontaneous mutation. the probability depends on the breeding arrangement (roosters to hens ratio), but if they were from a small breeding group then their is a high probability that the siblings will be recessive for that trait, so breeding them back to their siblings (if they have the recessive gene) will give you a 50% chance of also being albino. breeding them to each other would result in a near 100% result, but dont forget the siblings, they would help you maintain genetic 'diversity'...did you tell the breeder yet??? when are you going to tell us who supplied you the eggs???

I'm pretty sure it was a spontaneous thing. The person I got them from said they've never had anything like that before, and they've been hatching large batches for a while.

I can't wait to see how they look when they're grown. I wonder though how their eye sight will hold up outside. We had two albino horses when I was little, they both had poor eye sight from the sun. It made them a little more jumpy.

Me too. :) That's another reason why I'm putting them in their own separate coop. My other birds free range, but I just couldn't let the albinos. They're wayyy more susceptible to predation because of their color and eyesight. I'll probably build them a tractor.

I'm pretty sure it was a spontaneous thing.
spontaneous X 2? one yeah, but 2....keep the siblings marked to try breeding back to them, the least you will get is offspring split for albinism.
They're wayyy more susceptible to predation because of their color and eyesight. I'll probably build them a tractor.
make sure the tractor has lots of shade, cancer and any UV damage (like cataracts) also are risks. look up what human albinos have to deal with and apply it to them. there is a loft of info out there on the Tanzanian albinos challenges.

I'm pretty sure it was a spontaneous thing. 

spontaneous X 2? one yeah, but 2....keep the siblings marked to try breeding back to them, the least you will get is offspring split for albinism.
 They're wayyy more susceptible to predation because of their color and eyesight. I'll probably build them a tractor.

make sure the tractor has lots of shade, cancer and any UV damage (like cataracts) also are risks. look up what human albinos have to deal with and apply it to them. there is a loft of info out there on the Tanzanian albinos challenges.

Yeah, that's another reason I wanted to do the tractor, so I could limit their sunlight exposure easily and move the tractor into shade if need be. :)

Bino^

Allie
3 weeks old on Thursday and Friday!! They're getting sooo big!

Last edited:
I'm amazed by these chicks, and there is a reason:

These were my eggs.

Before anyone asks for some, let me day this: I have NEVER had this happen before, and I've hatched over 100 eggs from my birds.

For the geneticists: there are no white orpingtons involved in this. My orpingtons are a lemon cuckoo rooster with limited barring and five BBS orpingtons. There are also offspring of these. Also added this year was a partridge Orpington rooster and s lavender rooster I am babysitting.

Hopefully at some point I can upload some pictures of my birds if it helps.

I love seeing these two!

Back
Top Bottom