Allie & Bino, the albino orpington chicks

I believe you and those look true albino.

Normally, you cannot tell by looking at any animal if it carries albino or not.

Normal looking pair both carrying albino gene will throw 1/4(25%) albinos.

With group breeding though, either one rooster and multiple hens or multiple roosters and hens the chances can go far lower. Example, the rooster (or only one rooster out of several) and only one hen carries albino with the others not being carriers, it is very possible to hatch 100 and not hatch any albino. It can be due to:

Carrier rooster over non carrier hens, and by coincidence the carrier hen was not laying or she was but you just did not get the 1 out of 4 chance.

Non carrier rooster was breeding the carrier hen with the carrier rooster either not breeding her or he was but the presence of non-carrier sperm makes the chances at albinos even lower than 1 out of 4.

Now you know the albino gene is present, chances are very likely it;s getting passed down to a good number of chicks. A carrier bird will pass the albino gene to half of their own offspring.. so if you have a pen with a carrier rooster and a carrier hen along non carrier hens, that's more than half of the chicks carrying albino because at least one hen is also contributing.

Apparently those chicks came from the same rooster and same hen, making them full siblings pretty likely.

Last edited:

With group breeding though, either one rooster and multiple hens or multiple roosters and hens the chances can go far lower. Example, the rooster (or only one rooster out of several) and only one hen carries albino with the others not being carriers, it is very possible to hatch 100 and not hatch any albino. It can be due to:

Carrier rooster over non carrier hens, and by coincidence the carrier hen was not laying or she was but you just did not get the 1 out of 4 chance.

Non carrier rooster was breeding the carrier hen with the carrier rooster either not breeding her or he was but the presence of non-carrier sperm makes the chances at albinos even lower than 1 out of 4.

Now you know the albino gene is present, chances are very likely it;s getting passed down to a good number of chicks. A carrier bird will pass the albino gene to half of their own offspring.. so if you have a pen with a carrier rooster and a carrier hen along non carrier hens, that's more than half of the chicks carrying albino because at least one hen is also contributing.

Apparently those chicks came from the same rooster and same hen, making them full siblings pretty likely.

Again, I am amazed!!!!!!
caf.gif
ep.gif

I'll add now...
I put four eggs from my one coop in lockdown yesterday.
One hadn't hatched yet, one hatched yellow and one day yesterday and one just hatched a half h hour ago that may have pink eyes.

It is a very small flock and I only get a few eggs a day.
I'll try to post a picture this weekend if it survives and looks like the other two.

I'll add now...
One hadn't hatched yet, one hatched yellow and one day yesterday and one just hatched a half h hour ago that may have pink eyes.

I'll try to post a picture this weekend if it survives and looks like the other two.

How exciting!

Chippy, take good care of those chicks!

Even if I hatch some, I know you'll do a far better job of caring for them than I ever could! I feed, I water, I gather eggs.

You show your chickens love! I don't want to hijack this thread, I just wanted to throw the genetics out there for everyone. It appears the chicks are coming from a pen of mostly sibling or closely related birds.

I'll add now...

how many of your flock are first year breeders? i am assuming at least one since there is no history before this.

UNLESS there is a late mutation (or cross over event) that effects the gamete lineage cells, and lets not even think about environmental influences on alternate histone binding that may silence a needed gene product. once epigenetics is evoked all bets will be off! (well, ok, not two headed chickens...)....especially in poultry as they are not fully understood. it was just happy accident that Mendel chose pea plants! but Mendellian genetics really only works on simple inheritance - http://anthro.palomar.edu/mendel/mendel_3.htm

how many of your flock are first year breeders? i am assuming at least one since there is no history before this.
UNLESS there is a late mutation (or cross over event) that effects the gamete lineage cells, and lets not even think about environmental influences on alternate histone binding that may silence a needed gene product. once epigenetics is evoked all bets will be off! (well, ok, not two headed chickens...)....especially in poultry as they are not fully understood. it was just happy accident that Mendel chose pea plants! but Mendellian genetics really only works on simple inheritance - http://anthro.palomar.edu/mendel/mendel_3.htm

All the birds in this flock are first year breeders. They are also all related through the same rooster, I think.

Original breeding was yellow cuckoo rooster to BBS hens. The offspring are combinations of blue black and yellow. I separate the black yellow combination birds attempting to get them to breed a mottled/partridge black/yellow. I don't even know if this is possible, I don't understand genetics, just playing. I believe these eggs came from this coop.

This is just an accident!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom