Allowing 4+ week old chicks access to run

Also ... it was in the mid 80s here today and some of them were hanging out under the heat plate! ???? They don't "need" it, but apparently they still like it sometimes. Maybe it was just a nice place to hide and they were putting up with the heat? I don't know but I'll just leave it there for now. Thank you!
It's more than the heat - it's "mama" and provides a sense of comfort.

You can turn off the heat and leave them the plate for a few days to snuggle against, and then take it away. That's another way of "weaning" them off of it.

It's more than the heat - it's "mama" and provides a sense of comfort.

You can turn off the heat and leave them the plate for a few days to snuggle against, and then take it away. That's another way of "weaning" them off of it.
Right, I think that's what's going on, especially on a hot day like today. We're going to be getting some cooler nights soon so I'll leave the heat plate out there and on, probably for a couple more weeks at least? Then when they're about 6 weeks old turn off the heat? I don't know what I'm doing but this decision buys me a couple of weeks to figure out what to do next. haha

Right, I think that's what's going on, especially on a hot day like today. We're going to be getting some cooler nights soon so I'll leave the heat plate out there and on, probably for a couple more weeks at least? Then when they're about 6 weeks old turn off the heat? I don't know what I'm doing but this decision buys me a couple of weeks to figure out what to do next. haha

You may find them sleeping on top of it or even far away from it sooner than that, but that way you'll know that they're ready.

Back
Top Bottom