Allowing 4+ week old chicks access to run

KappyFlock

Songster
Jul 16, 2022
SE Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Our chicks are 4+ weeks old and have been in the coop since we got them. Today we plan to remove the hardware cloth from the pop hole so they have access to the run. We have no other chickens so there is no flock integration to be concerned about. It's getting down into the 50s and soon 40s at night. Assuming they actually decide to go down that ramp into the run, my questions are:

1. Will they remember the heat plate is in the coop, in case they do get chilly? They have lots of feathers now and don't spend much time under the brooder plate, except at night or when something startles them. All 6 chicks don't really fit under there very well because they are big! Some go under it, and some huddle around its perimeter. I know this because in the morning, most of the poop is around the heat plate, not under it. haha

2. Also, will they remember their food, water, and grit are in the coop? I could move those outside but do they need these in the coop at night? Do they wake up for midnight snacks or anything like that? Long term, I think I'd prefer to have the food and water in the run, to minimize the amount of poop in the coop. But should there be a transition period or should I just move it out there?

We are excited to see them go down that ramp for the first time! They have been spending a lot of time at that pop hole looking out, watching us finish the run. They seem to want out and I guess we will see if they actually do. haha Today is Tuesday and this picture of the chicks looking out that pop hole is from last Thursday so they are already bigger than this. They grow so fast!

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220915_111509.jpg
    20220915_111509.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 15
It may take them a while to figure out how to use the ramp, but if they're fully-feathered and the run is sheltered from wind and rain they should be fine in regards to heat.

I'd put a second feeder and waterer out in the run (I have a shelter for mine), to help them make the transition. Then, when you're ready, you can take out the one from the coop.

They don't need to eat and drink in the dark at night but they will need water at least if you don't open the pop door for several hours after daylight.

It could take a few weeks until they get the hang of going back in properly at night, but now is a good time to start. :D

When I had an enclosed, predator-proof run with a roof on it I never closed my pop door but just let them go in and out as they pleased. :D

Your temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't hurt to leave the heat plate in for now but I doubt they'll use it at all any longer.

I agree on having a second waterer/feeder outside at this point, so they have the option of staying out or going in to eat and drink. Good to have a backup anyhow, and having multiple feeders is always suggested anyhow. If they show an obvious preference for eating and drinking in the run, you can move both sets to the run if that's your preference.

As far as the pop door, until the run is fully secured, I would close it at night. The matter of drafts is something else - if it truly lets in a draft you might want to build a windblock like this one on @aart 's coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curtains-on-door-to-coop.1421164/#post-23361022

We don't have another feeder and waterer.

If you can get another pair of them it's always a good idea to have a spare set.

For example, I found a crack in my big waterer today. Since I have 2 waterers it's not an emergency for me to get another big frosting buckets, drill holes, and reinstall the same nipples RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE. I can do it at my convenience.

Also, if you have more chickens than can fit around the feeder at the same time you have the potential for dominant birds to guard the feeder against the subordinate birds. This isn't so big an issue in a small flock where all the birds are the same age/size, but it can be serious sometimes.

But you can put feed and water into open bowls.

To temporarily fix my water issue (I have 32 birds of various ages in that coop), I put a dishpan into the run and filled it with water. :D

If you can get another pair of them it's always a good idea to have a spare set.

For example, I found a crack in my big waterer today. Since I have 2 waterers it's not an emergency for me to get another big frosting buckets, drill holes, and reinstall the same nipples RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE. I can do it at my convenience.

Also, if you have more chickens than can fit around the feeder at the same time you have the potential for dominant birds to guard the feeder against the subordinate birds. This isn't so big an issue in a small flock where all the birds are the same age/size, but it can be serious sometimes.

But you can put feed and water into open bowls.

To temporarily fix my water issue (I have 32 birds of various ages in that coop), I put a dishpan into the run and filled it with water. :D
Oh! That is a good point. I should have another set on hand anyway. Oh, 32 birds needing water with a cracked waterer sounds stressful, but you know what to do so they are in good hands!

Your temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't hurt to leave the heat plate in for now but I doubt they'll use it at all any longer.

I agree on having a second waterer/feeder outside at this point, so they have the option of staying out or going in to eat and drink. Good to have a backup anyhow, and having multiple feeders is always suggested anyhow. If they show an obvious preference for eating and drinking in the run, you can move both sets to the run if that's your preference.

As far as the pop door, until the run is fully secured, I would close it at night. The matter of drafts is something else - if it truly lets in a draft you might want to build a windblock like this one on @aart 's coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curtains-on-door-to-coop.1421164/#post-23361022
Oh, yes, we will close the pop door at night until the run is fully secured. Last night my husband closed the pop door and even screwed it in place. No predator without a screwdriver would get in there! This morning I just took the screwdriver out to the coop to open the door again. haha

The heat plate is still in the coop and they did go in to spend some time around it (not necessarily under it) for a little nap. Do I just leave it in there until I never ever see them using it?

Thank you for the link to that thread! Our pop door is on the east side of the coop and our wind mostly comes from the west, so I wonder if we could get away with a heavy curtain for a while. I hadn't even thought of that. A more sturdy wind block like aart's would of course be more of a project. It's good to see these ideas and let them roll around in my head.

It's more than the heat - it's "mama" and provides a sense of comfort.

You can turn off the heat and leave them the plate for a few days to snuggle against, and then take it away. That's another way of "weaning" them off of it.
Right, I think that's what's going on, especially on a hot day like today. We're going to be getting some cooler nights soon so I'll leave the heat plate out there and on, probably for a couple more weeks at least? Then when they're about 6 weeks old turn off the heat? I don't know what I'm doing but this decision buys me a couple of weeks to figure out what to do next. haha

The heat plate is still in the coop and they did go in to spend some time around it (not necessarily under it) for a little nap. Do I just leave it in there until I never ever see them using it?

Thank you for the link to that thread! Our pop door is on the east side of the coop and our wind mostly comes from the west, so I wonder if we could get away with a heavy curtain for a while. I hadn't even thought of that. A more sturdy wind block like aart's would of course be more of a project. It's good to see these ideas and let them roll around in my head.
You can leave the plate in and on if you want - I don't give mine a choice once I decide they're done, but there's no harm in providing the option either.

A curtain might work if it's not a predominant wind direction, though the danger of that is if it isn't secured well and suddenly flaps around during a storm, that could be very upsetting for the birds

You can leave the plate in and on if you want - I don't give mine a choice once I decide they're done, but there's no harm in providing the option either.

A curtain might work if it's not a predominant wind direction, though the danger of that is if it isn't secured well and suddenly flaps around during a storm, that could be very upsetting for the birds
Yes, the more I think about it, the less promising the curtain idea seems for our situation. It's easy enough to enter the run and open/close the pop door by hand.

Also ... it was in the mid 80s here today and some of them were hanging out under the heat plate! ???? They don't "need" it, but apparently they still like it sometimes. Maybe it was just a nice place to hide and they were putting up with the heat? I don't know but I'll just leave it there for now. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom