Allowing 4+ week old chicks access to run

Also ... it was in the mid 80s here today and some of them were hanging out under the heat plate! ???? They don't "need" it, but apparently they still like it sometimes. Maybe it was just a nice place to hide and they were putting up with the heat? I don't know but I'll just leave it there for now. Thank you!
It's more than the heat - it's "mama" and provides a sense of comfort.

You can turn off the heat and leave them the plate for a few days to snuggle against, and then take it away. That's another way of "weaning" them off of it.

Right, I think that's what's going on, especially on a hot day like today. We're going to be getting some cooler nights soon so I'll leave the heat plate out there and on, probably for a couple more weeks at least? Then when they're about 6 weeks old turn off the heat? I don't know what I'm doing but this decision buys me a couple of weeks to figure out what to do next. haha

You may find them sleeping on top of it or even far away from it sooner than that, but that way you'll know that they're ready.

It may take them a while to figure out how to use the ramp, but if they're fully-feathered and the run is sheltered from wind and rain they should be fine in regards to heat.

I'd put a second feeder and waterer out in the run (I have a shelter for mine), to help them make the transition. Then, when you're ready, you can take out the one from the coop.

They don't need to eat and drink in the dark at night but they will need water at least if you don't open the pop door for several hours after daylight.

It could take a few weeks until they get the hang of going back in properly at night, but now is a good time to start. :D

When I had an enclosed, predator-proof run with a roof on it I never closed my pop door but just let them go in and out as they pleased. :D
Thank you! We don't have another feeder and waterer. Should I put them both in the run during the day (after they have decided to actually enter the run) and then move the water back in at night?

I would put the food and water in the part of the run that is under the coop, so they will have shelter from rain. Now you have me wondering if, as winter approaches, we need to put a piece of plywood or something over the west end of the run to block the wind for the chickens. Winterizing is a whole topic I'll need to think about.

I'd like to leave the pop hole open all the time, but I see two hurdles. One is short-term. Our run doesn't have hardware cloth over the top (ceiling?) of it yet. Hawks during the day shouldn't be a problem because the gaps between boards are only 4 feet or so, but nighttime predators would be an issue, until we get the run completely enclosed. The other hurdle to leaving the pop door open all night is that it will be drafty as the weather gets colder. Or is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom