Almost 12 weeks cockerel?

Hi all, just out of curiosity, why do you think it is a cockerel? It looks just like two of my pullets (EE). Not saying I disagree. I have very limited experience, so would like to be able to identify between the two. Thanks!

Hi all, just out of curiosity, why do you think it is a cockerel? It looks just like two of my pullets (EE). Not saying I disagree. I have very limited experience, so would like to be able to identify between the two. Thanks!
This Easter Egger is an obvious cockerel because of his reddening wing bows. Only male chickens can develop a red color on their wing bows that is not present anywhere else on their body (or sparsely present). Easter Eggers often come off as a very hard breed to sex for beginner chicken-keepers, but personally, I find them as the easiest. They can confuse beginners because Easter Eggers are prone to developing their tail oddly, in a way that makes pullets look like they have sickle feathers. This trait can be present in any breed, but it is most common in Easter Eggers. Additionally, the Easter Egger's wide variety of colors due to them not being a recognized breed can confuse people who do not know about female- and male-specific coloring.

Comb development, male specific feathering, and splotchy uneven coloring. :)

This Easter Egger is an obvious cockerel because of his reddening wing bows. Only male chickens can develop a red color on their wing bows that is not present anywhere else on their body (or sparsely present). Easter Eggers often come off as a very hard breed to sex for beginner chicken-keepers, but personally, I find them as the easiest. They can confuse beginners because Easter Eggers are prone to developing their tail oddly, in a way that makes pullets look like they have sickle feathers. This trait can be present in any breed, but it is most common in Easter Eggers. Additionally, the Easter Egger's wide variety of colors due to them not being a recognized breed can confuse people who do not know about female- and male-specific coloring.
I think I understand it. My girls are not red, but burnt orange in that area as well in the rest of the body. Their tails had a more uniformness to them, while the cockerels did not. Thanks so much for answering my question.

I think I understand it. My girls are not red, but burnt orange in that area as well in the rest of the body. Their tails had a more uniformness to them, while the cockerels did not. Thanks so much for answering my question.
All of my cockerels have been more uneven when they are young and getting their first feathers in, compared to the pullets' appearance. You're welcome!

See in person I don't even notice the redder color in the wings it looks even. It wasn't until I looked back at the pics that I saw it. It does look like it has brighter orange saddle feathers coming in plus the comb is why I was thinking cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom