1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost ready to get little chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Claire_Bear, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Omg! I'm just so excited about getting chickens, but there is one problem. I was ordering them from Mcmurray hatchery and they send a minimum of 25 chicks, and I really dont want 25 chicks. Any suggestions, recommendations? I want about 10 of them.

2. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi, Claire....I know! the 25 chick minimum isnt good for me either. I think ideal hatchery has a minimum of $20 for chick orders so figure about $2.00+ a chick thats bout 10 of em. However theres always the possability of getting exta males for warmth! What to do with all thoes boys. And then theirs Mypetchicken.com which uses a special packaging system for their chicks so you can get as little as 3 shipped to you. I think im going to go this route myself. They dont sell chicks at any feed stores by me....but you should also try checking at you local feed stores...you never know....I hope this helps![​IMG] -Dom

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Thanks so much! I thought all hope was lost! omg thank you! [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you only want a few chicks, check with the local 4-H or a FFA group. They usually have chicks for sale or know where to get them locally.

5. demonique

demonique Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Montana
    I only wanted ten... but I'm getting 29! *laugh* Guess I'll see how it goes! *grin*

6. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    It is just an extra 15! If you get the chic fever real bad, you might be adding more later. LOL! Let people on here know where you are at and maybe someone will want some in your area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by