Almost there - Mostly done coop pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Prospector, May 21, 2010.

1. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

I still need to make th eegg-spaces and put windows on, but here is where we are at with the coop.

I need to get busy with attaching windows and the laying boxes since the front of the coop was covered with paw prints (I suspect from the neighbour's Jack Russel) this morning. I wonder if I can work with the neighbour to train the dog to protect the chickens. This little dog does an amazing job of chasing off Raccoons and rats and whatnot.

Anyways, heres a link to the pics in my wife's blog. Hope they give you some ideas:

http://ravens-rook.blogspot.com/search/label/The Mighty Tiny Chicken Ranch (For all chicken related posts)
    http://ravens-rook.blogspot.com/2010/05/building-chicken-coop.html (for coop construction & building)

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Thoughtfully designed, and nicely executed!

You are going to appreciate that design particularly when you need to clean out the coop. That's the first thing I look for in coop design...how easy will it be to keep clean?

Well done!

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That is a great design- so easy to clean!!!

4. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Really nice! I love how well you considered cleaning up when you designed it.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    So enjoyed reading your blog....the coop looks great!

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Very nicely done.

7. Prospector

Thanks for all your compliments!

Any last minute suggestions for improvement/functionality before I wrap up the finishing touches?

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Looks Great!! Good Job!

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would have trimmed my roofing material as I worked. Very easy to do with a straight edge and a razor knife during the install. Getting a straight edge now will be difficult. Also, using this method I can eliminate a lot of waste. That would be my only critical assessment, other than the weight of those fold up doors. Can everyone manage moving them safely? Make sure you have a solid way to secure those when up, as that is a lot of weight that could come down on someone.

10. Prospector

Thanks Dogfish.

The doors are actually quite manageable. the ply is only 1/4" so there isn't a lot of weight there. I have decided though that the bi-fold willbe reversed so that the centre section opens downwards. For a quick reach in, or for ventilation, it will work better that way.

A single section is surprisingly light, and isn't hard at all to hold up. I wil lbe putting hook and eye catches in to hold it up when open. Thanks for your suggestions.

I've also come to the conclusion tha tI will have to install a human door in the end of the coop. While the opening back of the coop is great for ventillation and cleaning, it is less than ideal for changing teh water or adding feed. I think I need the quick access of a human door for that. I'd rather make the change now when its nice out than put it off until November and be out working in the cold fiddling with the back in a blizzard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by