1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luvanimals101, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Luvanimals101

Luvanimals101 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Hey, I am trying to hatch some chickens without a incubator or hen. I have them under a scentsy candle burner with scarves and pillows around. There is also a humidifier blowing out a cool mist. It is day 18 and whenever we candle them one has a dark spot in the air pocket that has little squiggly lines coming out from it. The rest of both eggs is super dark and we can not tell anything from it. We don't know if this is normal or not. I really want them to hatch. On the one with the squiggly lines, there is gooby stuff on it that we are pretty sure came from inside the egg. It is about the same color as the yolk would be. What is it and is it normal? Is there a chance that they will hatch? What are the chances that they won't hatch? Thanks, and I would love for an answers you can provide.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I can't read your post because of the color it is...maybe if you change the colors it will help others too???

3. mandymoo

mandymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    North Yorkshire, UK
    wow your post made my eyes go funny lol!

i honestly can't imagine that the eggs will hatch, as they need continual heat and humidity for the first 18 days, then you have to greatly increase the humidity for the last 3 days, so that the chicks can break through their shells

because you've been providing SOME heat, they've obviously started to grow, but i really can't see them hatching..sorry [​IMG]

4. Luvanimals101

Luvanimals101 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Alright... ): thanks. I know some people who said I could borrow their incubator. Just wanted to see if I could do it this way first. ): (cry cry sniff)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by