Alone chick not growing

I just make some Bactrim in his water I guess he have some slightly Coccidiosis I notice some lining type thing in his poop it's not bad to treat Coccidiosis at first place because we don't get Corid here bactrim is pretty handy :)

I'll give him grit I was confused if the grit is Pretty big can injured him 😅 for him but I'm going to give him

Do they have chick grit available where you are? It's smaller, about the size of crumbled feed. If you can't find that, putting a small container of soil in his pen can work, especially if it has bits of sand/tiny rocks (grit basically) in it. That's how most chickens get their grit if you don't provide it separately, from scratching and eating off the ground.

No! I didn't give him grit my big boys eat grit that seems big so I was confused to give him now or not ..he's 2 months old
If its adult sized grit, it may be too big for the wee little fellow... do you have a petshop or somewhere you can get your hands on regular pet bird supplies? In a pinch you can use the stuff for larger caged birds, it might be big enough, but some of it can be almost as tiny as sand grains which I think might be too small for him too. 🤔 It shocks me how hard it can be to find proper chicken grit sometimes! Its a special order item where I'm at in Canada... super frustrating! Maybe if you can just get a dish of rocky dirt he'll be able to pick the right sized bits out for himself. I hope he perks up for you!

ETA: I should have refreshed the screen before replying! Sorry for repeating the same advice everyone else already gave you! 😅

I'll give him grit I was confused if the grit is Pretty big can injured him 😅 for him but I'm going to give him
I think it should be fine to offer that grit to him.
If he eats it, then you know it's a good size for him.
If he doesn't eat it, then you would need to find some that is a bit smaller.

Chickens can often swallow surprisingly large things, and they usually have a pretty good idea what they can actually get down their throats, so just letting him decide about the grit you have might be easiest :)

Maybe put a dish of soil with a little bits of teeny rocks? He might like to dust bathe also! From last year some of mine went nuts dust bathing, and others just looked at it like the dirt was alien. I also found grit for parakeets online that I used and seemed to be an appropriate size.

Do please find something for grit though, because I think I saw you mentioned he was pooping undigested food? And giving corn - my understanding is they need that grit to break down tough plant material. (Sorry if I misread)

EDIT: Maybe take the grit you have and mash it with a hammer?? Not sure that would work though ... that way he’d have a variety of sizes to choose from.

He may enjoy a sibling. If anyone in your area has a chick they don’t need then that’s an option. Otherwise you could try putting him outside with everyone else. It might also be stress. In terms of stress you are doing all the right things. Just make sure he always has access to a clean water supplies. I hope this helps. Wishing him the best :)
I agree, you can't have one chick

Accidents happen, and chicks and chickens (and other animals too!) sometimes do very silly things. All we can do at that point is try to help them. :)

looks like everyone has covered the basic things to start with already with you and you’re giving him the care he needs.

I usually just use dirt from my yard as grit for chicks. That’s what they’ll be getting once they’re outside anyways, so it’s a head start on the microbes and things they’ll be picking up once they’re out there. :)

Good to hear the swelling has come down and he’s walking again. What food is coming through undigested?

I often make assumptions, like in this thread i assumed it was a dyed chick (which it was) I assumed it has broken its leg falling off a bed and I assumed the OP was a kid based on the chicks being on a bed which to me is disgusting and something kids grow out of doing but I was saying the situation about chicks getting dyed to make them attractive for kids is sad and Saaniya has agreed with me on that.
I'm sorry if I overassumed too much or wrote in a passive style but to me everyone on here is a stranger and I treat all strangers equally, I don't know the OP so nothing personal, I have come to assume most people are idiots till I meet them too, more my problem than anybody else's..
I have also been the reason for chicks dying in the past on me, one also fell. I would expect to be told off just as much for that incident although I never told anyone when it happened...

Sure we all make mistakes, the most important is to learn from them and not repeat them.

Back
Top Bottom