Alpacas / llamas and chickens...

Selena

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
We're acquiring a pair of alpacas and a small llama soon. We thought they could share a pasture with the chickens, but a woman was talking to my MiL yesterday and said there's some disease or bug they can share and you shouldn't have them together. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone have them on their farm together? I've checked out the web and so far: only happy stories of cohabitation.

Both my mom and I have many alpacas, chickens and turkeys together for years (over 15) they are all fine
big_smile.png
hope that helps.

If someone can prove that information I'd love to hear about it. I've had my chickens around my llamas (they free range so they are in and out of the pasture with them) for several years and thus far - no problems at all.

I've heard that tale before too. I think that people just don't know about llamas so they decide they are disease carriers. Everything that I have read about them says they are really disease resistant. I think they are cool animals and would love one one day.

The only thing so far that I've read is "Salmonella and the possibility of others"

Well anytime you hear about poultry or reptiles folks wave the "Salmonella Flag". I kiss my lizards on the lips (if you can call them that!
lol.png
) and I've never had problems. If you keep things clean, I would think it cuts down diseases considerably, eh?

I will talk to this woman and ask her. She's had Alpacas for years, but anyone can have some questionable beliefs and practices (like kissing their lizards, eh?
roll.png
)

Back
Top Bottom