Alpha Hen Ailing?

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My alpha, Butterfly, a Salmon Faverolle who is three years old, was injured six weeks ago when fighting with a much larger hen. At the time, I thought she sprained her hip as she was favoring that leg and limping. When she’d jump down from the step or roost, she’d almost face-plant. She seemed to (mostly) heal from her injury and get back to almost her always cheerful self, but now she’s molting and miserable. She’s off her feed, she doesn’t want to come out of the run and always plops down underneath something instead of running round with the rest of the girls. Worse yet, she actually lets me lift her off the roost in the morning (she gets up there without my help).

She is drinking enough, but I’m afraid she‘s not well. Her tail, what’s left of it, is down a lot and she just wants to lie under my chair. She ate part of a scrambled egg and some wet chow yesterday, but she used to be a chow hound. I’m pretty sure I already know the answer, but just need some advice from the group. Is it time to cull her, or should I give her time to get through the molt and see if she improves? @aart @DobieLover

09C5DD12-9F8B-4BBB-B0AF-E5DAB03A9778.jpeg

Oh, and she is still laying. Could part of it be that she just doesn‘t like the grower chow?? Nah... she’s not too interested in crack or mealworms either. She used to hop up on hubby’s lap for crack (even after the injury), but not lately. I just don’t know what is fixable.

Molt is really hard on some of them sometimes. I'd keep an eye on her, make sure it's nothing else being missed. Most birds stop laying during molt. I would try to give her things that tempt her to eat, cooked eggs, tuna, etc, try for things that will up her protein. Vitamins may also help, particularly the B's, so 1/2 a B complex mixed in something she will eat, daily, might help. Make sure droppings are looking normal and that her crop is functioning normally. If all else looks OK you may just have to get her through molt.

Not too hot really. This coming week will be close to or in the 90s and we always have high humidity. I put a dose of Rooster Booster in the water three days ago. Clean water since then. She’s just not her usual perky self and it worries me. Plus I have a two year old BLRW who’s fighting off a respiratory thing. She was scratching around in an area of the yard that has black slime mold before I got it all fenced off. It never ends...

This is what I do when I have a bird that is acting 'off'....
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Can't go wrong with the advice above. As I read through your initial post, I was concerned that she was allowed to be jumping up and down with an apparent hip/leg injury. I don't think that's her issue now, but when we get a bird that appears to be limping, we put the bird in a place where they won't have to jump (up or down), possibly making an injury worse. I'm glad she's overcome that.

For her molt, a little extra protein as mentioned above will be good for her. Culling? 3 years seems young to cull, but I'd wait 'til after the molt too.

You're right; it's always something...! 🥺

Back
Top Bottom