Already time to "teach some sex education"

CRmuscovy

Songster
May 26, 2021
Costa Rica
I am in need of duck sex education. My 21 week old Muscovy is mating already! Is that normal? I read they aren't mature until 6 or 7 months. There appears to be only one drake that is doing it and he only "mates" one of the females. Is there anything I should know? He isn't vicious, but he does get her all dirty and won't leave her alone until he gets his way. 😳

Kind of unusual for Muscovy When mine hatch it's always been 8-9 months later they start mating and laying. Both drake and duck are 21 weeks old? Maybe it's the warm year-round climate? I have a friend in Texas with Muscovy and she says her ducks breed and lay year-round. Here they stop laying in late sept and start back in March along with breeding starting back.

I have young muscovy and couldn't tell you when they began mating, but I know they had some trial runs. 🤣 Also, juveniles will chase after females until they "have their way". How successful they are is anyone's guess.
From what I've read its normal for muscovy mating to occur at 28 weeks (or 7 months old). But, who knows if that means just maturity or juvenile angst? 🤷‍♀️ But, they are later bloomers than their mallard cousins that reach maturity by 4 to 5 months.
@CRmuscovy yours must be a little more advance or like all things poultry - nothing happens exactly on schedule. 😉

Kind of unusual for Muscovy When mine hatch it's always been 8-9 months later they start mating and laying. Both drake and duck are 21 weeks old? Maybe it's the warm year-round climate? I have a friend in Texas with Muscovy and she says her ducks breed and lay year-round. Here they stop laying in late sept and start back in March along with breeding starting back.
Yes, they are all 21 weeks. Maybe he is just staking an early claim.

I have young muscovy and couldn't tell you when they began mating, but I know they had some trial runs. 🤣 Also, juveniles will chase after females until they "have their way". How successful they are is anyone's guess.
From what I've read its normal for muscovy mating to occur at 28 weeks (or 7 months old). But, who knows if that means just maturity or juvenile angst? 🤷‍♀️ But, they are later bloomers than their mallard cousins that reach maturity by 4 to 5 months.
@CRmuscovy yours must be a little more advance or like all things poultry - nothing happens exactly on schedule. 😉
Thank you @Crazy Maizie I think he is just playing Big boy and showing everyone who is boss. Funny thing, the other female, although he is almost 3x her size, she lets him know she wants nothing to do with him. He can't get near her! 😄

Back
Top Bottom