Alternative to fish meal?

Since I'm already using split peas in my feed, I'm wondering if using another bean would be appropriate. I would also prefer to do without soybeans in any form if possible. My dilemma is mostly that I can't seem to find food-grade fish meal. If anyone knows of a good source (I live in a very rural area, so I prefer to do most of my shopping online if possible), that would also be very helpful.
Sure. Just find some other legumes to take its place. Below is a recipe without soybeans. Take a look and see what you would like to change and then recalculate your protein percentages to the age/needs of your chickens. here is the link to the site. http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/chickenfeedrecipe.html

I am not sure but I don't think you will find food grade fish meal.
Food grade I believe means that it would be ok for human consumption. I don't think fish meal is available for human consumption only for animal.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3 parts soft white wheat[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3 parts hard red winter wheat[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part hulled barley[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part oat groats[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part millet[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part kamut[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part amaranth seeds[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part split peas[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part lentils[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part quinoa[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 part sesame seeds[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1/2 part flax seeds[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1/2 part kelp granules[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]free choice of granite grit[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]free choice of oyster shell[/FONT]​

Thanks! Another great suggestion. Since I have so few chickens I could probably just buy most of the ingredients by the pound at my local food coop.
As for the "food-grade" fish meal, I just meant fish meal that is safe for consumption by animals. I've found a lot of agricultural fish meal, but nothing for animals so far. As for me, I don't think I'll be eating fish meal anytime soon ;)

We are Vietdelta Co., Ltd- the top of Fish meal exporter origin Vietnam.
We are looking for customers who might be interested to buy Fish meal grade 65%, 60%, 58%, 54% protein
Please contact with us for more information and the best prices!
Contact us:
Ms Nhu
Export Department
H/ P: + 84988835317
Email: [email protected]/ [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom