Alternative to Oyster SHell

DaQatz

Songster
9 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Southern Maine
I have a mixed flock, so tend to use a low calcium feed. And give them oyster shell on the side.

I also have a bit of experience in water treatment, and one of the things we use to neutralizer water is "Fine calcite"
Reference: https://www.foreverpureplace.com/CAL-50-BAG-p/cal-50-bag.htm

Now the fine calcite in those bags is 95% CaCO3. And at a very similar mesh to the oyster shell I give my hens. It's also significantly less expensive pound for pound. Is there a reason I couldn't give my hens the fine calcite instead of traditional oyster shell?

No, at least as long as it is meant for treating drinking water. If it is meant for waste water treatment, then I am not sure because that would have different allowances for what makes up the other 0-5%.

Feed grade calcite/calcium carbonate/limestone is the typical source of calcium in commercial chicken feed. "Feed grade" may not be the correct term.

Old poultry handbooks recommend old mortar (the stuff that sticks bricks and stones together, and gets crumbly and falls out over time), and other natural sources of limestone will do. Most sea shells work, oyster is just easy to process and used to be a common and cheap by-product of the oyster fishing business; not so now of course.

It isn’t necessary but it does kill any bacteria on the shells. And yes it does make them easier to crush. As far as the shells alone not being enough calcium , I have yet to see that. We’ve been using shells alone for almost a year now and have had no problems. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this issue but I would advise that you do what you think is best. I personally have had no issues. Good luck and God bless!

egg shells alone aren't enough calcium.
Partly true, partly not.

If the hens are otherwise eating a low-calcium feed, and if they only eat the shells from the eggs they lay, then the egg shells will not provide enough calcium.

But if the hens are eating a layer feed (already contains about the right amount of calcium for layers), then their own eggshells will generally provide more than enough extra calcium.

Even on a low calcium feed, eggshells can provide enough calcium if the hens get enough of them, probably about 3 times as many shells as what they themselves lay. So if someone has a source of extra eggshells, beyond what their own hens lay, that can work as a calcium source.

As a general guideline, if the hens eat as many eggshells as they want and there are still shells available at all times, they should be fine. If they eat up all the eggshells so no extra is sitting around, they should be given access to more.

As far as the shells alone not being enough calcium , I have yet to see that. We’ve been using shells alone for almost a year now and have had no problems.
The amount of calcium in the rest of their diet will make a big difference. Layer feed has about three times as much calcium as chick starter or flock-raiser type foods. Hens that free range can get various amounts of calcium from things they find, but it will vary depending on what is available on your property.

I've just been crushing the egg shells...should they be baked first ??
They're easier to crush if baked but egg shells alone aren't enough calcium.
I simply let my used shells dry for a week+ rather than baking. Dried shells using either method are much easier to crush without making as much of a mess and allowing the pieces to separate rather than being held together by the inner membrane. Use whichever drying method you prefer.

I offer my girls a mix of oyster shell and crushed egg shell. They consistently prefer the egg shells, but they do eat some of the oyster shell as well to get what they need.

Back
Top Bottom