StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Just noticed my oldest hen has clear discharge coming from her eyes and nose and is struggling to breathe. STINK! Probably MG since this has happened once before years ago..??
Tylan50 is pretty expensive and comes in a large bottle. Is there a less costly alternative for treating respiratory infections? Thanks for your help. You guys and gals are awesome.

Tylan 50 injectable has nearly doubled since I first priced it at TSC. The generic tylosin powder for the water goes farther, but it is still expensive. But the chicken can drink it for 3-5 days, and you don’t have to give it orally 3 times a day. Here is a good place to buy it:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Some use injectable long acting oxytetracycline (LA 200) once every 3 days for treating MG, while others use Denagard liquid in the water.

You mention she stinks, have you had that before in your flock too and cleared it up with Tylan?
Stinking badly, could be Infectious Coryza, but hard to know.

Meds keep going up on price. Search for Tylosin powder if you are treating for MG, if you think it's Infectious Coryza, then you want a Sulfa drug like TMP SMZ

You mention she stinks, have you had that before in your flock too and cleared it up with Tylan?
Stinking badly, could be Infectious Coryza, but hard to know.

Meds keep going up on price. Search for Tylosin powder if you are treating for MG, if you think it's Infectious Coryza, then you want a Sulfa drug like TMP SMZ
No, I didn't smell anything off. "Stink" is just what I say when something goes wrong. Sorry, haha.

This same hen had bubbles in her eyes back around 2017. It went away on its own within a day or two, so maybe it wasn't an infection? Anyway, she looks much worse this time.

Tylan 50 injectable has nearly doubled since I first priced it at TSC. The generic tylosin powder for the water goes farther, but it is still expensive. But the chicken can drink it for 3-5 days, and you don’t have to give it orally 3 times a day. Here is a good place to buy it:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Some use injectable long acting oxytetracycline (LA 200) once every 3 days for treating MG, while others use Denagard liquid in the water.
Thanks. Do you know if the LA 200 can be given orally?

Looks like it may have been a false alarm. She is fine this morning. I think she may have gotten something stuck in her throat last night that made her nose and eyes run. What a relief!

Back
Top Bottom