Alternatives to Sweet PDZ for poop boards

Play sand is about $5 for 50# and sweet PDZ is $11 for 25#. That said, it is all what you prefer and like to use. My coop has a window on each end, north to south, and wind blows right through in the summer. Poop on the sand is always pretty dry if cleaned in the afternoon.

Our first coop just has a 2x12 flat and my daughter uses a drywall taping knife to scrape it off the wood. She doesn't want to bother with sand or litter. Probably takes less time to clean but just looks dirty when finished.

I did a test run of sand on my poop boards, and really liked the results, but didn't like the idea of introducing all that sand to my property. I don't really compost, but I don't think sand is an ideal additive? My research indicated that the proper sand was NOT play sand, but 'river sand' - sand that was washed & graded, but not crushed, mixed with tiny pebbles. I bought this from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikret...Vy__jBx2OXgKmEAQYASABEgKfMvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds You could probably also get it by the truck load, or half load, from a local aggregate dealer or landscaper.

I am not sure why chickens would need one sand over another? Play sand is very fine and other sand considered construction sand is less ground as it is not meant to come in contact with people. Construction sand is what you bought. IMO, either would be fine, cheaper would probably be better. I have been using left over truckload of sand (Construction type) I dumped and the chickens dust bath in it sometimes. They are probably going to ruin a 1/3 of it, but a yard of sand was less that $40

Many people don't know this but sand is actually good for gardens unless you have very rich black soil already. It helps to keep the soil from clumping together. That said, I highly doubt the amount of sand being introduced would be enough to be noticable. I used to dump the old pool filter sand in my garden and it just disappears without notice.

Back
Top Bottom