Alternatives to wood shavings?

Needles that have fallen off the pine tree.
A lot of you have been commenting on pine straw. This would be a very good option for me, since during the storm we lost many huge trees and probably have about 300+ tons of pine lying around. Is there any way I can turn these trees into bedding? I know its probably far fetched, but l was hoping some of you guys might know a little more about "living of the land" then me.

What about mixing equal parts sand with kitty litter? I imagine it would smell a little better and still be easy to scoop up, or would they mistake the kitty litter for grit? Imagine that could be bad?

What about mixing equal parts sand with kitty litter? I imagine it would smell a little better and still be easy to scoop up, or would they mistake the kitty litter for grit? Imagine that could be bad?

I think that eating the kitty litter would be bad. Eating sand is fine, and is in fact very good grit for chicks. Older chickens need larger grit, however, which they can find in dirt or you can buy at the store.

I think kitty litter is clay?? I read that if dogs eat it it is bad.

OK I just found a link-
http://www.ehow.com/info_8210673_dangers-cat-litter.html

I think that eating the kitty litter would be bad. Eating sand is fine, and is in fact very good grit for chicks. Older chickens need larger grit, however, which they can find in dirt or you can buy at the store.
My older banties still think a scoop of fresh sand is worth nibbling at...but I give them shell grit in addition to the stones they forage. I will try changing to pine straw instead of hay in the nesting box though....

The wood pellet horse bedding is fairly large in the bag, but as soon as it gets wet, or even damp, the pellets fall apart and make for fairly decent bedding. They create quite a lot of dust, which is why I stopped using them for my horses, but they might work out fairly well for chicken bedding. That's what I think I am gonna try when I get my chickens later this spring.

Back
Top Bottom