Alternatives to wood shavings?

Play sand is dusty at all.
Perhaps the "dust" is from the chickens bathing in it....molts and their itchy dry skin etc. Chicks make considerable dust in the sand, but then they're constantly growing and molt like crazy....and ground chicken feed...

Last edited:
Perhaps the "dust" is from the chickens bathing in it....molts and their itchy dry skin etc. Chicks make considerable dust in the sand, but then they're constantly growing and molt like crazy....and ground chicken feed...
idunno.gif
Is sand ok for chicks????

Quote:
I use sand for chicks sometimes. What I do is to sprinkle a HUGE amount of feed so they are basically walking on feed in their tiny area I start them out in. They eat this up and by the time they do, they know what their feed is.

Other times I use shavings. Sand is so much nicer to deal with IMO. But you don't want them filling up on sand, which makes a nice grit for them at that age, and not eating their feed. Paper towels would work over it too for the first few days.

I use sand for chicks sometimes. What I do is to sprinkle a HUGE amount of feed so they are basically walking on feed in their tiny area I start them out in. They eat this up and by the time they do, they know what their feed is.

Other times I use shavings. Sand is so much nicer to deal with IMO. But you don't want them filling up on sand, which makes a nice grit for them at that age, and not eating their feed. Paper towels would work over it too for the first few days.
I use sand for my chicks from the moment they come to the brooder. They peck at it, but by the time they digest their yolk sac, they have no trouble telling grit from food. Cleaning sand is so easy, I clean the brooder daily and I know my chicks won't be walking in a mess of poo...it's probably the only bedding that you can reliably get everything out of without throwing it away....for a week or two I use a coarse tea strainer for spot cleaning. Later, a kid's beach set...pail, shovel and sand sifter....put the sifter on the pail, shovel sand in...when the sifter is full, empty it, then pour the clean sand back in the brooder. Don't worry about spreading it out...the chicks will dig in it and bathe in it...and while they're busy playing in the new sand pile you can finish cleaning.

I apologize for not being able to get through this entire thread before responding to your photo, but I will get through the thread.
big_smile.png
That's a nice coop and I don't think it matters much what is in the bottom if you're going to bend over it to pick up a chicken, it's going to stick to you. If it were me with this set up, I'd make sure there was a 1x4 or 1x6 or even 1x8 across the bottom of the door opening. That way the bedding would not come out and you wouldn't be touching any of it in the first place to stick as you lean over the top of it. Good luck. See y'all at the end of the thread.
That is a really good idea. I bet I could put one on hinges so l could slide it open when I need to clean the coop. I go through like ten sticky sheets a day trying to get wood shavings off my clothes. Luckily, they don't seem to stick to the feathered feet of my bantams. That would be a real problem. I will check my local hardware store this week for a board to block off the door. I also have an issue with a muddy aviary. My birds come inside with soggy, muddy feet after a day outside, and I have to take them over to the garage and clean their feet. Could sand and a roof prevent this?

Last edited:
I went to a local hardware store today, and saw this. Do you think this would work? Anybody use it?
http://www.petco.com/product/3370/Carefresh-Natural-Pet-Bedding.aspx
I've used it with small mammals. For small mammals, I find it's better than aspen bedding. It's nice and soft... BUT It doesn't last long, especially if you want to keep the smell down. It doesn't control odor anymore than any other bedding, IMO. I think it would be waaaaay too expensive for a coop.

Back
Top Bottom