Alternatives to wood shavings?

That is a really good idea. I bet I could put one on hinges so l could slide it open when I need to clean the coop. I go through like ten sticky sheets a day trying to get wood shavings off my clothes. Luckily, they don't seem to stick to the feathered feet of my bantams. That would be a real problem. I will check my local hardware store this week for a board to block off the door. I also have an issue with a muddy aviary. My birds come inside with soggy, muddy feet after a day outside, and I have to take them over to the garage and clean their feet. Could sand and a roof prevent this? 
Why are you cleaning their feet? I love my birds, but that's a little much.... my birds now have mud in their run at times (winter) and when they go up into their coop, they walk on sand or whitewash or pine needles...the mud dries and falls off never to be seen again, packed down into the litter, etc. or their feet are dirty....I mean, they'll walk in dirtier things than mud and do OK... And they clean themselves the next time they dustbathe. If you make sure they always have cleanish dry fluffy sand....they'll dustbathe every day and you don't need to worry about muddy feet at all....

Last edited:
That is a really good idea. I bet I could put one on hinges so l could slide it open when I need to clean the coop. I go through like ten sticky sheets a day trying to get wood shavings off my clothes. Luckily, they don't seem to stick to the feathered feet of my bantams. That would be a real problem. I will check my local hardware store this week for a board to block off the door. I also have an issue with a muddy aviary. My birds come inside with soggy, muddy feet after a day outside, and I have to take them over to the garage and clean their feet. Could sand and a roof prevent this?
I had this same problem with extremely muddy feet. And with the type of dirt in my area, the dirt clumps dried hard on the feet poking holes in the pads. I had to use pliers on my quails feet to break apart and remove hardened mud clumps before I put a roof on the aviary, that is how hard this dirt gets! LOL

Anyway, I switched over to sand a while back in the chicken coop and run and also moved them into a covered run. NO MORE MUD CLUMPS! Yes, the rain and snow can still get in the run and the sand gets wet, but it NEVER clumps. Like sand should, it sloughs off the feet quick. Even when the birds step in poop, the sand just dries the poopy feet and it all falls off.

Once you try sand, you will never turn back!

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone using sand, is it colder in the winter? I know that's been a big concern, so I'm wondering if you've switch from shavings to sand, have you noticed a difference?

Yes, the sand seemed to be colder in the winter than shavings or hay. But the chickens didn't seem to mind too much. If their feet seemed cold, I would see the birds hopping up on roost bars or other areas to get off to ground. I do know that sand will be cooler in the summer and that is a huge plus for my birds.

I have a question for everyone using sand, is it colder in the winter? I know that's been a big concern, so I'm wondering if you've switch from shavings to sand, have you noticed a difference?
Sand provides thermal mass, so you can use it for passive solar heating...i.e. if the sun shines on the sand in the winter (southern exposure windows, and the proper overhang) it will help warm the coop. Also, the sand will retain heat from chicken feet if they stand still...or warm up if you use heat lamps in the winter....that's one of the reasons I love it in the brooder. I don't get high chick piles...they usually fan out just touching each other. Everyone then gets the benefit of the warm dry sand. If you've ever walked on a beach at sunset...the warmth radiates from the sand.... Might take a bit to warm up in the morning....

Yes, as mentioned by some members above, Carefresh bedding is expensive. But if it keeps me from constantly vacuuming and going through half a roll of sticky sheets a day, its worth it. I have a small coop too.

Last edited:
My chickens roost in the barn. We have a coop in there, but we're removing it this summer and they're just going to use the whole stall. I haven't decided between sand or shavings.

Grinding egg shells to give as grit and extra calcium is the way to go. Someone said to heat the shells so they lose the flavor of eggs and the chickens won't start breaking the eggs and eating them.

Back
Top Bottom