Alternatives to wood shavings?

Natural sand varies from location to location, however I would imagine it will act similar no matter where it comes from. Some maybe dustier than others. The chickens aren't going to notice the difference. Natural sand that you dig out of a beach or wash will have lots of stones for the gizzard, which is a plus.

I was using grass hay in the nest boxes, but because my chickens love to eat grass hay, when I switched over to sand in the run and coop, I put sand in the nest boxes as well. I was worried the hens might not care for it in the boxes, but they never complained and the eggs kept coming even with the bedding change in the boxes. No more poopy eggs or nest material being kicked out of the boxes.

Last edited:
If you go with the Quickrete, you may want to read the bag first. I am making stepping stones right now with a sandy Mortar mix (similar to Quickrete) and it has a warning to flush/wash thoroughly if it gets on your skin, because when cement is mixed with water it creates calcium hydroxide. I don't know how safe this would  be with your chickens feet and the dust getting in their eyes if they bathe in it. I just thought I might let you know.

Mine is playbox sand, says Screened, Washed, Dried.

For those using sand. what do you use as nesting material?

I'm using newspaper, but I'm thinking to switch to hay.

Pine needles outside and in nest boxes - They don't absorb moisture so they dry off quickly to keep the run from being a mucky mess. plus they break down slowly so they last.
Coffee chaf inside - it's free, scoopable so easy to keep clean, smells like coffee, and it's better for your compost pile.

I am allergic to hay. I really want easy clean up, so I am thinking sand. I really want to use sand as bedding for the coop and run, but I think I read too much! I am now not sure what kind to put down. Straight from the beach sand, play sand, river sand, construction sand, washed sand? I have seen so many different posts about this.
I live in Florida....if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom