Alternatives to wood shavings?

I don't know if this product is even available in US but I have been using strawpellets for 4 months now and it's the BEST I've ever tried with chickens :) It absorbes 4 to 5 time it's weihgt of water, it smells nice and need really rare cleaning. I haven't actually cleaned in this time, but couple times I have taken the around feeding and drinking areas.

It's also nice that it can be composted and it molders fast (in 2-3 months) so I won't have sortage of mold in my veggarden :) In Finland this pellet is now cheaper than wood shavings!

Last edited:
i use free rice hulls

900x900px-LL-12d07b7b_2013-01-0711.58.14.jpeg

In NC pine needles are often used for landscaping mulch. I use deep bed pine shavings myself for a small flock of eight bantys, but I don't see why you could not try any mulch that is suitable for landscaping...even artificial stuff used as cushioning in kids' playgrounds. If you had the time and the patience then you could shred or tear newspaper for that matter. You'd probably need a lot of them but neighbors may contribute. And newspaper can be mulched.

I have my "chicken outfit" that I put on before going in the coop to avoid the shaving problem. In winter it's an old parka, overpants, gloves, boots and hat which I leave in the garage - in the summer it's painter's overalls and rubber boots, again don't come inside. If I'm just gathering eggs, I just put boots on.

I do use rice hulls in the hen house, the chickens love to scratch in them, it is like treats to them. It dries up the chicken poop, thus cutting down on fly problems, it also absorbs and deodorizes. I pick up the poop after the girls go out, and I use a cat pooper scooper. Easy. Don't have to use a shovel!

If they get bored in the run I bring them a few scoops of the rice hulls and it keeps them occupied for quite a while.

Love your comment, I use rice hulls for the entire play area, my girls start going crazy when they see me hauling a bag in. They are on it before it's open. Inside the bag before it's dumped. When it rains they dry out quickly plus keep the chickens feet fairly clean. Another thumbs up for rice hulls.

We use shredded paper. We use any non toxic paper: paid bills, old envelopes and old soy ink newspapers. I replace it about 2-4 weeks throw it in the compost pile.
D.gif

I plan on using recycled shredded paper and pine shavings currently as that's what's readily available. I'd like to try rice hulls but can't find any locally. I don't want to have a big expense ordering from somewhere else; defeats the purpose of trying to save some $$ by raising chickens!!

We use rice hulls they can also be purchased at any feed store that sells horse bedding. They track in but not as sticky as shavings. You could try tractor supplys shavings they are a really big heavy flake don't stick at all. I don't like them for the the horses to wasteful.

Back
Top Bottom