Always have shrink wrapping..

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
Well, yet again my 2 eggs are shrink wrapped. Doesn't seem to matter whether the humidity is 28, 30, 55, 75%, always have wrapped chicks.
Ideas?

Usually they are wrapped, sometimes I help.
Right now I have two due to hatch, but they are wrapped in chalk its so dry. Made a little hole and added a bit of water, they dry out again real soon. Kinda why I posted this, "dry chicks again!? ugh, gotta ask about this" is what went through my mind.

Idk, what should I use to draw the water up and into the air? Can a fan dry the air so fast? Should I put something over them, like a little Tepee to keep the air away from them?

I have never hatched before so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but some people use wet paper towels to boost humidity quickly. The water can evaporate quickly with all of that surface area. I also think I read that someone wrapped a shrinkwrapped egg in a wet paper towel. Worth a shot?

Good luck with your hatch!!!
fl.gif

I put a sponge in my incubator that helps 100%... me it did I started to use it and had no problem before that I had the worst hatching...

Are they shrink-wrapped before you open the incubator? Just opening the incubator, especially in a cooler room and especially when you have a fan, can dry out the membranes. Just a thought.

We typically use a sponge or two, but when we have needed extra humidity I put a wet wash cloth with one end of the cloth in the water and the other end draped up on something higher (piece of wire). sounds like you need more moist surface area. You probably already know that it does not matter how deep your water is, a larger shallow pan (pie pan) will be much better than a narrow deeper dish (coffee cup)
I have never had my humidity too high -- the problem has always been too low.
hope this helps somehow.
Good luck

Did you install your fan yourself? or did you buy a forced air incubator? Because if you installed it yourself, you may have installed it to blow down on the eggs instead of blowing up towards the top. That is what I almost did until I read on here the specifics of using a fan and caught it before I started to install. That is all I can contribute. Sorry.
sad.png
Hope you figure it out. Dried chicks are no fun.

and if you move to much air, they will dry out. You only need to stir the air, not have a gale force wind in the bator.Found out the hard way.

Fan is in the short side[frame of fan] to the front side of the bator, was supposed to blow on the bulb[on the left short side], but it ended up blowing away to the right side of the bator. Fan is a few inches up off the ground.

left side
|/====/ fan |
| |
| 0 0 0 | back side
| 0 0 0 |
| 0 eggs 0 |
| 0 0 0 0 |
|______________|
right side

Back
Top Bottom