Always hear about predator problems. why not me? (PICS)

I never had any problems with predators for the first 18 months I had chickens. You will eventually be found. Enjoy the situation while it lasts.

Quote:
Basic obedience is the first step. The second is having dogs that respect your place in their world. After that it's easy. You just impress on them that the chickens are yours and are not to be touched. I think my dog would rather chew off his own leg than displease me in any way....I've put dead chicks in his mouth and he just sat there holding them gently. The same dog can snatch a songbird out of the air and eat it in two gulps....I had to move my bird feeder.
roll.png
He knows the songbirds are not "mine". The chickens? All I have to say is, "MY chickens!" and he will look away and tuck his tail. He knows.

It CAN be done.

I suspect the OP has enjoyed the benefits of the Golden Retriever patrolling his property...it doesn't have to be a LGD breed to get desirable results on predators. Especially if you don't live near a woodline where snatch and grabs are much easier.

Great setup using an integrated pest management system. Fence slows ground predator access and the "non-guarding" dog likely click very well at keeping predators out of stock. The presence of dog and cats likely keeps avian predators out as well. Luck likely not a major factor.

Last edited:
I don't know why you are so lucky, but it does happen. I haven't had any predation in about 7 years. I'm in the suburbs, with raccoon, possums, eagles and hawks. Yard is fenced so really no issue with dogs or coyotes (They are around, I'm only a couple blocks from a greenbelt).
I have a resident possum in the yard. Living under the shed I think.
I've seen the raccoons in the yard sharing with the chickens, during the day. The 2 big ones bring 3-4 babies every year to terrorize my goldfish, and wake me at night. A couple years ago when they kicked the babies out, one moved onto my deck and tried to become a house raccoon. Lived with the cats for about 5 days. I felt so sorry for it, but thought better than having a pet raccoon.
All I can make of it is they are fat & lazy, and only a threat to catfood, goldfish and water hyancinth.
Here's my little friend just after I pushed him outta the house:
15498_img_0075.jpg

Ive also been very lucky but i do live in the UK so our main worry living in the country is the foxes as theres only a few other predators out there. My chickens are fenced in well but foxes in this area do seem pretty persistant. We also have dogs that so far seem to understand that chickens are not allowed although i dont totally trust them yet. I do feel its only a matter of time as our friends in the area and previous owners of our property have lost a lot to foxes. I'd be heartbroken if a fox got my beautiful cockerel Rodney. x

Quote:
thank you.

see and hear Coopers hawks year round all the time; Red Shouldered hawks all the time from March to October. Red Tailed hawks frequently; they all breed on the property. Eagles off and on; vultures too, but they're nothing to worry about. Sharp shinned hawks migrating but they're too small for a full grown duck.
Barred Owls breed here and are a riot at night; Great Horned; Common Ravens pass by regularly.............

Coopers have scoped us out, but the furniture has been deliberately placed to prevent a low, long swoop-and-catch. It has manifestly worked, so far. If they try to drop in for a swoop, there are so many shelters set up as obstacles that the hawk would slam into something before he got a bird.

Of course, he could always just sit on top of one of the structures; but then the birds will just hide and some one of us 18 will eventually scare him off.

Last edited:
this is the nearest woodland and potential launching spot for hawks. our compost is back there and nothing even touches that!! woodland is on the west side.

1079towardwoodland.jpg

Be glad you have not had any attacks. I use to think that way and stopped locking up my quail. Went out the 3rd morning I had not locked them up and found that coons had reached in through the wire and pulled birds through the wire. Lost about 8 in one night. They get locked up every night now! I spent a few nights out waiting on the coons and ended up getting 2 in one night and a couple of possums. Thought it was over. Then came the coyotes. 6 came into my back yard within 100 feet of my house. Got 2 of them. Never let your guard down. At some point or another it will happen.

I love your setup also. Looks great!!!

John,

You will eventually get paid a visit, your setup is wide open to an air attack by hawks. It also isn't immune to several animals doing a ground attack.

A hawk will kill and eat a large bird where it stands.

You just haven't reached the point where those birds of yours are what the hawks want for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom