Always shoot coyotes?

ALWAYS shoot em! They can kill domestic cats and dogs and they are even capable of hurting a child. This paste February they would rally together outside of my fenced in my yard, and cackle and howl as if they were trying to intimidate my dogs. They woke me up almost every night with their awful howling for weeks. I would see them sometimes but never was lucky enough to have a gun ready. I think someone must have did away with them because I haven't heard em again in a few months.

Wow! thanks so much for all the replies!

To: bfrancis. I didn't have the .223 rifle at the time of bobcat and the chickens were screaming bloody murder at the crack of dawn so I grabbed what was handy. Funny thing, silly chooks seemed to care less about the 'yote circling at 8AM this morning. They were gladly singing egg songs at the top of their lungs which is what I think attracted him.

There's a lot to think about here. I'm surrounded by several hundred acres of sheep ranch here so there's a lot of coyotes and I'm sure my neighbor would not mind me offing a few of them one bit. I also have a CCW license and I know I couldn't have shot a retreating person like I did that 'yote legally, even if I thought he was a thief and would return to try again.

Just a lot to think about... thanks again!

Quote:
Not many mice and vermin in these parts. So they eat dogs, cats, deer,calves and foals. I tip the scale in the preys favor anytime I get a chance

X2 the fewer there are the fewer have a chance of getting through to harm your chickens. the fewer they are the more afraid of people they seem.

Quote:
Warning shots won't do much good: The coyote will be back. Shoot to kill.

Bill

Quote:
Not many mice and vermin in these parts. So they eat dogs, cats, deer,calves and foals. I tip the scale in the preys favor anytime I get a chance

There are mice and vermin in large quantities in almost every part of the world. Just because you do not see them regularly does not mean they don't exist in great numbers there. You have coyotes you have the things it eats as well or else they wouldn't exist there. Bet my flock that there are more mice/vermin per square acre in Idaho than there are people, dogs, cats, deer, calves or foals combined.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom