Am I a Welsummer??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickfever, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I posted last week asking what some of my chickens were. I got to looking on ebay and found a couple of pics that look like my roo. At first I thought he might be a gamefowl....then I thought he looked like a Welsummer....especially when I found a pic on flickr that looks EXACTLY like him. So, what do you think? Is this handsome guy a Welsummer? A game roo? Or something else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the link to the pic on flickr that looks almost identical to Chester (my roo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral_c/385001335/

So
    , what do you think?

2. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I have a Welsumer cockerel from a hatchery (Ideal), and he looks very similar, but he has bright yellow legs. I suspect mine has some Marans as well since there are tiny tufts of feathers here and there on his legs. I think they cross them to make the Welsumer eggs even darker. Hatchery bloodlines are usually far from pure, but I thought I'd share what little info I had.

3. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I went to Ideal and found a pic of the Welsummer chicks....even though mine are a combination of my roo and either black sex link or production red, 2 of the 5 that have hatched so far look almost exactly like the babies pictured. Hmmm....wish I had known that's prob what he is earlier....

Thanks [​IMG]!

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I don't think he is a game. He is too blocky and heavy looking for that. He looks more like a Welsummer than a game. He could be some sort of cross. Welsummers tend to have more black than what this one is showing.
    Monty

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  5. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Unfortunately I bought him from someone who had no idea what he was....nor did he care. He just wanted rid of him [​IMG]. Chester fathered a roo last year....ended up looking just like him....the mother was a black sex link.

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    There is a Welsummer yahoo group that would have a lot more pictures plus people there that could tell you in an instant if he is a full blood Welsummer or not.
    Monty

7. ninetails72

ninetails72 New Egg

Jan 26, 2007
    NC
    Hi Chickfever,
    I know this post is several months old, but had to write when I realized that not only is that my flickr link, but the Welsummer roo in the photo came from beeeman, who I met on the old byc board! Small chicken world!

As for your guy, he is quite handsome. I wonder if maybe he's a brown leghorn mix. The green legs throw me off. Of course, Welsummer isn't out of the question. I find some of the most stunning birds are the mixes.

-Catherine

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    He kind of resembles Papa my buff orp/rir alpha roo.The legs are different though. Here are pics of Papa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by