Am I Being Cruel? Today's Update

SmartyChick

An Official Milkmaid
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Sullivan County NY
My poor hen Deoxi has been lethargic and and can barely stand. She pants and is missing 70% of her feathers. She is a few years old. Is there anything I can do? I do not have to means to separate her from the rest and give her special care. I am giving her 24 to improve. If she doesn't I am going to cull her. A part of me wants to save her, , and a part of me thinks it's unrealistic, I have so many others to care for. Am I being cruel? I was holding her and I felt like I could feel the life dwindling from her. She felt so weak.

Last edited:
You should always quarantine any sick bird from the rest of the flock, so if you don't have the means to do that, then I would cull her. You are putting the others at risk if she has something contagious.

Is she moulting (loosing all feathers)?

could she be having a hard time with the heat, and molting? If she is dealing with that and low on the pecking order, that could be the problem.
Is anyone else sick?
can you bring her in the house?

We can't bring her in. We have done that before with other sick chickens and it just doesn't work. Yes, the heat is really bad today, and not she isn't moulting, she is my rooster's favorite so all her feather loss is on her back and vent. Could a molt rend her incapable to walk?
No one else is sick due to the heat, I mean they are panting and drinking alot, but nothing like this.
I hate to put animals down as well, but just to look at this hen, she just falls asleep staning up and collapses.
sad.png
I think it's her time.
sad.png

If you cant seperate her and give her extra care that she needs right now./..then yes, cull her.
And NO, its not cruel...
Whats cruel is to let an animal suffer...

Back
Top Bottom