Hen showing signs of distress

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
10 month old Barred rock is lethargic, weak, squishy belly, yellow wet fethers on vent.

I have her separated.
Not sure what to do?
I gave her vitamins yesterday
Separated her.
No eggs for 2 days
Since she has been lethargic.
Found wet belly but really couldn't find a treatment.
So I am getting a crate ready for the house. Should I give her an Epsom bath? Calcium pill? I don't have any but will run and get some.
Do you think they can survive this?
We could put her down but would like to save her if possible.

10 month old Barred rock is lethargic, weak, squishy belly, yellow wet fethers on vent.

I have her separated.
Not sure what to do?
I gave her vitamins yesterday
Separated her.
No eggs for 2 days
Since she has been lethargic.
Found wet belly but really couldn't find a treatment.
So I am getting a crate ready for the house. Should I give her an Epsom bath? Calcium pill? I don't have any but will run and get some.
Do you think they can survive this?
We could put her down but would like to save her if possible.
Also droopy tail feathers.

yellow wet fethers on vent.
It sounds like an egg may have broken and the yellow, wet feathers are from the yolk?

I would clean her up a bit and keep her in a warm dark place (a crate in a steamy bathroom is good) in case she is trying to lay an egg. I'd give her a calcium pill and also an antibiotic like amoxicillin or baytril if you have it. (Calcium can interfere with some antibiotics so I give them at different times of day.)

Reproductive issues are serious, but I hope she can pull through.

It sounds like an egg may have broken and the yellow, wet feathers are from the yolk?

I would clean her up a bit and keep her in a warm dark place (a crate in a steamy bathroom is good) in case she is trying to lay an egg. I'd give her a calcium pill and also an antibiotic like amoxicillin or baytril if you have it. (Calcium can interfere with some antibiotics so I give them at different times of day.)

Gave her calcium. Off to TS for antibiotics.
She was roosting in the shed isolation area. Left her a nest too. Nice and quiet.

So update on hen. She passed last night. She was panting.
Weak.
Do not know what from. I did my own autopsy- no eggs in any stage inside of her. Crop was full of seeds from scratch and pretty hard. Smaller than a golf ball.. about the size of a quarter full. Felt hard. Idk if this is post death thing. No eggs in there so I am guessing she digested the eggs I gave her previous day. Liver looked good. Heart good. Lungs fine. No obvious disease.
I will watch other hens for distress or illness. So far they all seem fine.
I am sad, but after losing so many hens to predators in the first year of learning....I am sorta less attached.

weird no eggs at all inside not in any phase.

Back
Top Bottom