Am I Being Cruel? Today's Update

I had made this hard choice last Friday with a hen that had a bad infection in her foot (not normal bumblefoot) I know in my heart we made the right choice but it still hurts. I didn't post because I worried that some member's would be upset because I did not spend a bunch of money on trying to make her better but I did take the advice of 3 different vets that felt that it was best to cull her. Which my DH did very humanly and as gently as possible, Still a very hard choice.

If the heat is that bad, can you put a fan near her to at least circulate the air? It wouldn't hurt to give every one electrolytes in their water. You could hose down the yard where they are to cool it off.

But culling is not cruel. Sometimes it's a necessity.
sad.png

They have a fan in the coop, and it is not as bad in there. When I let everyone out today to free range, she did not go running into the yard with the rest. She Remained in the corner, just standing there. I saw her poo, It looks like a spinach scrambled egg omelet, all green and yellow.
sickbyc.gif
At least he is standing I guess. It could be internal parasites. I do not worm my chickens. If she does not perk up by tonight....
When I have an injured chicken, I usually all in my power to help it, but with sick chicken, it usually just dies anyway no matter how long I isolate and stuff.
hit.gif

Poor girl. I swear the rooster knows it. He ranges with his other ladies, but always goes back down to the coop to check her and dance for her.

Quote:
May I ask why you don't de-worm your chickens. I am new and try to learn all I can, so I would like to know. I did find worms in my chickens poop about 3 weeks ago and on the advice of some byc member's did de-worm. So I am curious why you don't I don't mean to be rude just wanting to learn. Thank you.

Great question on why or why not to de-worm. I've never done it yet. I've had chickens for a year now, so am also curious on an answer from more veteren chicken owners.

Second question that comes after reading this post, giving chickens electrolytes... do you just put gatorade out or is it something special?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am sorry to the OP for your poor chicken. It is nice to have others support when you need it.
smile.png

I've used Wazine to worm per the package instructions, and it did the trick before any of them had the chance to really become sick.
As far as electrolytes, I would think you could use gatorade or pedialyte, but they make special vitamin and electrolyte powder that you can buy at most feed/farm stores. You just mix the powder in the water according to directions. There are also solutions like Avia Charge that are very helpful.

I personally do not deworm, for the same reason I do not vaccinate...I try to keep chicken naturally. I find that the less medicine I give my chicken the better off they are. That is just the way I keep all my animals. None of my chickens have worms in their poo so we have never done it. I give electrolyte in a powder in the chickens water, and even then I don't like to give then stuff like that. I buy it at Tractor Supply.
smile.png

Quote:
you can use natural products to prevent worms, DE is good and so is garlic... some people say if you give them to much garlic you can taste it int the egg.. I personally have never had this problem and we eat a LOT of garlic and the hens get out left overs and plate scrapings. I also have chopped garlic in the fridge and they get about a teaspoon on top of the plate scrapings and other stuff weekly

oh yeah i forgot pumpkin seeds too... I dont know if its the green seed or the whole seed and shell but i will grind up the punpkin seeds up in my food processor and dust the chickens food. (I will save them at Halloween , dry them, freeze them for use at a later date)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom