Am I being too sensitive?

Skittlez

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Rockford
I will try to make this short and not a novel
smile.png

The pre-school class at my childrens school orders chicks for the class to raise every year. My daughter mentioned to the teacher we incubate eggs. The teacher asked if she could use our incubator this year. Of course, I said yes. Then she asked if I would include the eggs. I said yes to that also. Each student gets one chick, so I would give her about 3 doz. eggs. 25 children are in the class, so I figured in extra eggs for the ones that may not hatch. I would then get the chicks when the class went on Easter break.

We discussed this many times (since November) and I figured the dates out to bring the supplies, get it all set up, and they could hatch. Last week I called the teacher to set up a time to do this and the teacher "informed" me that she was going to give my chicks to a farmer she knows that lost his flock to predators and he only wants hens. She asked what would she do with the roosters. I said I would take them home. She was going to talk to the farmer and get back to me. Now she is saying she might just order pullets in the breeds he wants from the hatchery.

I purposely have left the incubator empty and have collected eggs. My original plan was to do a hatch a month (about a dozen) so we weren't butchering too many at one time. I put my plans on hold so the children could incubate. My daughter has been waiting patiently for all this to happen because her Buttercups have been laying and she was hopeing the class would hatch some for her.

I am feeling very frustrated. I have missed 3 months for hatching and now I have to start collecting eggs all over again, the others are too old now. I am miffed the teacher didn't have the common curtesy to let me know this sooner. I am still not sure if she is going to order from the hatchery because she keeps saying "maybe I'll just order pillets" I feel I need a more definate answer, I want to incubate for myself and I feel I need to wait untill she makes a final decision. I will feel very guilty if I fill my bator and then she says she does want to incubate and I will have to tell her I can't because I am incubating. I don't feel bad for the teacher, but I can't stand to break the hearts of little 3-4 yr olds.

Am I being too sensitive?

I don't think you are being to sensitive. I agree with not wanting to break the childrens hearts. I would calmly call the teacher or go in and talk to her. Tell her you need to know because you are wanting to hatch and that you have patiently waited. If you don't get an answer then I would just start hatching. I think it is very rude of her to not let you know sooner. Hope all works out.

Just incubate your eggs,why feel bad when she can't make up her mind....
Your missing out on hatching eggs....
Just tell her that you will start incubating on such and such date so she has till then to make up her mind....

Last edited:
Wishy washy people are always irritating. Make her say one way or another and give you a solid answer that you can rely on. Tell her it is a solid answer and it cannot be changed. Make her decide. That's my opinion.

What I want to know is why that farmer can't order his own danged chicks!!!!!! I lost my flock, and received quite a bit of help from BYC'ers, but had to rebuild the flock myself. No one ordered chicks for me. How rude.

Thank you everyone, that makes me feel better. Our Easter break is late this year, she would need to decide by March 15th or so. I really don't want to wait any longer. I have asked her point blank, but she uses words like maybe, we might, I'll let you know. My husband says not to worry about it, I am just too sensitive. But my husband is so laid back I'd like to set his butt on fire sometimes just to see if he has a reaction. I get frustrated very easy and am not good in social situations and this almost makes me want to cry. I did a small hatch in December, but none since.

What I want to know is why that farmer can't order his own danged chicks!!!!!! I lost my flock, and received quite a bit of help from BYC'ers, but had to rebuild the flock myself. No one ordered chicks for me. How rude.

I agree, I am not sure why the farmer can't order. I lost half my flock late spring, then 2 months later lost the rest. I found my own replacements and then waited 5 months for them to lay. I went 6 months with no eggs. Between molts, and 2 broodies this winter, I am finally getting eggs again.

I love to help people in need, but I help to a fault and get burned in the end. I guess I am a gluten for punishment.
smile.png

Quote:
I'm sorry -you are NOT being overly sensitive ...I would say to her you are now behind schedule in your incuabting needs and you need the bator back by a specific date without question-that means you need to incubate starting on this date NO LATER as you need to pick up yours by this date... I mean its bad enough she made you waste all these eggs you collected and could have incubated yourself-she's being selfish and rude. Your going to get frustrated and hurt worse if you let her walk on you anymore...Be firm...

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry -you are NOT being overly sensitive ...I would say to her you are now behind schedule in your incuabting needs and you need the bator back by a specific date without question-that means you need to incubate starting on this date NO LATER as you need to pick up yours by this date... I mean its bad enough she made you waste all these eggs you collected and could have incubated yourself-she's being selfish and rude. Your going to get frustrated and hurt worse if you let her walk on you anymore...Be firm...

Ditto. Give her a deadline for a firm answer. If you don't get an answer by that date let her know that that translates into a no. You have an incubator because you incubate, not just to gather dust. I'm guessing she just doesn't get it.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom