Am I crazy for being ok accepting a likely MG/MS-Postitive hen into my small flock?

SwissHouse

Hatching
May 24, 2023
Ok, long story, but TLDR is I purchased a new hen from someone, and she started presenting coughing and some rattling on the way home, have her quarantined ATM, but it is not any better after 2 days. Seller is very nice and we having been talking after the sale and she offered to let me bring her back to be looked at, swapped(or maybe refunded). I asked if the rest of the flock was ok, and she said the bird was fine until she gave a electrolyte dropper for the ride(that didn't go down well), which is what we intially thought it was. I think I will be at least swapping, but from my understanding, this sounds like a mild case of MG, that flared from the stress of the dropper and moving. Which if the case, likely means the rest of her flock are asymptomatic carriers.

But reading into it, it sounds like MG is both prevalent(with 60-89% of flocks having it) and a minor long term disease. I am just keeping chickens for eggs, and don't have any plan to sell birds. I already bought the rest of hens from CL or FB, and given how prevalent it is, for all I know, the flock could already have it asymptomatically.
So way I see it, I have 2-3 options:
1: just swap for another healthy, but maybe MG+ hen
2: See about getting a refund and just return this hen then go looking around for another on CL or FB(that could also have latent MG/MS.)
3: Return and pay out for an expensive one from a NPIP or otherwise High Quality breeder(which still doesn't guarantee MG free)

I don't really want to spend the money to have to test every new bird that comes in whether its this one or another, and plus my schedule in the next couple months means I won't be able to keep a bird quarantined for long after mid June until after July.

So that leads me to the conclusion that maybe I just embrace one from this seller, and if its MG, so be it, treat for MG if it comes up in my other 3 hens, move on and be done with it..
Am I crazy in making that conclusion? Does asymptomatic MG reduce egg production?

You suspect it's a mild case of MG. Your suspicions are most likely correct. It definitely means you need to return the bird and get a refund and dont do business with the seller.
Why risk the health, safety and welfare of your existing flock?

There are different strains of MG; mild to severe. Sick birds dont lay eggs, if they do, the disease is passed to hatching chicks, if they survive. Birds are carriers for life. I think you've done your homework on MG. Why risk it? Dont be complacent when it comes to MG or any other disease, take a stance.

You suspect it's a mild case of MG. Your suspicions are most likely correct. It definitely means you need to return the bird and get a refund and dont do business with the seller.
Why risk the health, safety and welfare of your existing flock?

There are different strains of MG; mild to severe. Sick birds dont lay eggs, if they do, the disease is passed to hatching chicks, if they survive. Birds are carriers for life. I think you've done your homework on MG. Why risk it? Dont be complacent when it comes to MG or any other disease, take a stance.
You know what. Thanks.
I got into a funk, freaking out about this. After this comment I went and reevaluated the claims that it is everywhere, and I can't find a definitive source, which got me back in the fighting right mind set. On top of that, I realized it may not be MG. could be something else like Infectious bronchitis, or just a random chicken cold. Only 2 symptoms that fit were the cough and rasp. Wasn't lethargic, low appetite, any of the other MG signs. returned the chicken, sanitized everything. Got a new one from a different hatching, and am starting Quarantine fresh. Will see about getting this one tested, but I also am feeling like I got too focused on it being MG to the exclusion of less serious diseases.

You know what. Thanks.
I got into a funk, freaking out about this. After this comment I went and reevaluated the claims that it is everywhere, and I can't find a definitive source, which got me back in the fighting right mind set. On top of that, I realized it may not be MG. could be something else like Infectious bronchitis, or just a random chicken cold. Only 2 symptoms that fit were the cough and rasp. Wasn't lethargic, low appetite, any of the other MG signs. returned the chicken, sanitized everything. Got a new one from a different hatching, and am starting Quarantine fresh. Will see about getting this one tested, but I also am feeling like I got too focused on it being MG to the exclusion of less serious diseases.
You also have to consider environmental issues as well; such as wheezing, sneezing and possibly other symptoms. I'd rather deal with environmental problems because they can be corrected or eliminated.
Here are some examples; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding in coop, improper ventilation, dust from dust bathing, inhalation of feed dust or feed granule, excess dander, pesticide use, pollen and so on.
The bottom line is to practice biosecurity at all times.

I would not keep this hen, or any other from this breeder.
After finding out the hard way, I would run a mile before 'deliberately' (which is what it comes down to really) getting a chicken which is a carrier of a disease.
But I would not entirely rule out getting a chicken from some other backyard breeder type, as long as you look into it carefully, and all the birds seem healthy.
But don't forget that its not only MG thats out there, but others like Mareks disease, and many other nasty things.
So do be careful where you get them from, and maybe go the extra mile to make sure they are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom