Am I doing Something wrong

mvine26

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Joshua Tree, California
I have 98 hens and I am getting between 10 and 15 eggs a day now and when they are layin good I am only still gettin about 3 dzn. I give them fresh water every day they get 20% lay pellets i go through a 50 pound bag in 4 feedings which is 2 days so I think there eating enough i keep a light on at night I read that that is supposed to help.. I would think I should be getting more eggs with so many hens.... :(

How old are they? They could be molting. Have you checked for parasites? They seem to be eating about the right amount. About fourteen hours of light is what they need for the best laying.

Any changes, other then the sequestering of the ones molting? How about something stressing them like a predator coming around?

not that I know of we lock them up at night due to coyotes were getting in to the yard trying to get at them but thats been awhile and we are adding on to the coop next to them because I was thinking maybe there was just to many of them I have changed from 16% to 20% about a month ago and I did notice my RIR rooster was getting the runs. I supply to 2 local restaurants was 3 but im not getting nearly enough eggs so I lost one cannot afford the loose another one

The construction right next to them may be part of the problem. You may have some that are doing a slow molt. Other then to say even with artificial light they can slow down with the lessen of natural light. From here I don't have any other ideas. Maybe some one else does.

I know it won't help, but my egg numbers are way down, too. I have 60 hens and only got 21 eggs last night. I understand your panic about your customers. Think you have lots of moulting hens? Mine were moulting badly and I was only getting 15 eggs a day, but it seems they are starting to lay again...

What breed are the layers?on average peak egg production in egg breeds peaks at 30 to 34 weeks of age and then declines .5 percent per week until the birds molt or are replaced. older hens lay larger eggs, but not a many. older hens also tend to put on fat and fat hens don't lay well. a good amount of space for a coop is 2sq ft per smaller breed chicken (not bantum, most layer breeds are small) or 3 sq ft for a large breed. Feed should be your biggest expence and I would reign it in a bit more to be effective. 2lbs per week per laying hen or so. are your feeders allowing alot of waste? A good book is by Gail Damerow-storey's guide to raising chickens. With laying hens you really have to be ruthless at culling and finding cheep replacements to make any money. Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time, I just want to help. Chickens sure are an adventure!

Back
Top Bottom