Am I doing the right thing?

golfergirl07

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
Nebraska
These two girls are my first ever, so I'm kind of paranoid and wondering if I'm treating the right thing. Both of them are 3 months old, and I hatched them in an incubator in my classroom. I've noticed one of them having brown spots on her legs before, but didn't think anything of it since she acted fine. On the Fourth, I noticed her legs were peeling, like she had dry skin. I'm treating both of them for leg mites by spraying a mixture of Epsom salt, rubbing alcohol, and warm water on them. Tonight, I noticed the brown spots that weren't there on Monday. Both Millee and Missee have them and they are peeling. Since i read to rub Vaseline on their legs, I started doing that tonight. Both of the girls act nosy and normal!
[/IMG][/IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Vetrx-Poultry-Aid-2-fl-oz/dp/B005BV0KI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468131031&sr=8-1&keywords=chicken+leg+mites

I'm not sure about using alcohol since it has a drying effect.... might dry their skin out even more....
Try the stuff above.... and or
poultry dust....

=)

Thank you! I wondered about the alcohol for the same reasons, but decided to follow the directions. I will omitt it tomorrow. I will try those!! Thanks for the link! :)

the poultry dusk kills the mites almost immediately...
use it where they sleep also.... read the directions on container...
if there on the legs, they are most likely in the bedding and the area they
hang out all day....
just make sure to not stir up dust, so it goes up the nose or in the eyes..! =)

These two girls are my first ever, so I'm kind of paranoid and wondering if I'm treating the right thing. Both of them are 3 months old, and I hatched them in an incubator in my classroom. I've noticed one of them having brown spots on her legs before, but didn't think anything of it since she acted fine. On the Fourth, I noticed her legs were peeling, like she had dry skin. I'm treating both of them for leg mites by spraying a mixture of Epsom salt, rubbing alcohol, and warm water on them. Tonight, I noticed the brown spots that weren't there on Monday. Both Millee and Missee have them and they are peeling. Since i read to rub Vaseline on their legs, I started doing that tonight. Both of the girls act nosy and normal!
[/URL]
Do you have them outside yet?
Do they have access to a dust bath?

Give them their legs a soak in an epsom salt bath and take a soft brush to gently scrub the legs. After the legs are dry, you can put some coconut oil, vaseline or a+d ointment on the legs.
Scaly leg is usually raised scales where the mites burrow underneath.

It's hard to see in the photos but the brown could also be natural leg coloring. Some birds have changes to color of legs when they start maturing, so if you know what breed they are you may want to research what color the legs are supposed to be.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html

I agree with Wyorp, so I'd follow their instructions with the Epsom bath and such. We used used a generous amount of bag balm we bought through Amazon.com. Alcohol would absolutely dry them out! So I wouldn't use that anymore. Clean coop throughly and dust for mites in the coop. We did the bag balm about every other day until the yucky scales fell off and we saw fresh skin.

Thank you everyone! They are outside in a makeshift run until I get theirs put together. I hosed it out and sprayed it down pretty generously with vinegar this morning, so it'll disinfect and won't hurt them
1f60a.png
. I'll definitely get some poultry dust this afternoon and change their bedding. I'm 95% sure it's leg mites after looking at pictures last night and checking their legs closely this morning. The scales are starting to lift. I feel so bad for them! This morning, I sprayed their legs down pretty liberally with Epsom salts and warm water - I even accidentally sprayed vinegar on one of their legs! I'll do the soak with the toothbrush this afternoon. I read that mites don't like pine bedding - what do you guys think? Thank you!!

Thank you everyone! They are outside in a makeshift run until I get theirs put together. I hosed it out and sprayed it down pretty generously with vinegar this morning, so it'll disinfect and won't hurt them
1f60a.png
. I'll definitely get some poultry dust this afternoon and change their bedding. I'm 95% sure it's leg mites after looking at pictures last night and checking their legs closely this morning. The scales are starting to lift. I feel so bad for them! This morning, I sprayed their legs down pretty liberally with Epsom salts and warm water - I even accidentally sprayed vinegar on one of their legs! I'll do the soak with the toothbrush this afternoon. I read that mites don't like pine bedding - what do you guys think? Thank you!!

Mites don't care what type of bedding you use, they mainly live on the chickens.

If they have scaly leg mites, you will need to smother them with the oil/vaseline/a+d ointment. While poultry dust will take care of the lice/mites that live on the skin, it will not treat the SLM that live under the scales on the legs/feet. Apply the oil atleast once a day for 5 days, then apply every other day or so for another week or so, if they aren't healed by then, continue treatment.

You can look around the vent and under the wings, if you see any creepy crawlies, then you may want to dust the chickens with the poultry dust as well. Once you treat, you will want to repeat in 7days.

Mites don't care what type of bedding you use, they mainly live on the chickens.

If they have scaly leg mites, you will need to smother them with the oil/vaseline/a+d ointment. While poultry dust will take care of the lice/mites that live on the skin, it will not treat the SLM that live under the scales on the legs/feet. Apply the oil atleast once a day for 5 days, then apply every other day or so for another week or so, if they aren't healed by then, continue treatment.

You can look around the vent and under the wings, if you see any creepy crawlies, then you may want to dust the chickens with the poultry dust as well. Once you treat, you will want to repeat in 7days.

Ok. That's kind of what I thought. I've been smothering their legs with Vaseline at morning and night the last couple of days. Is that too often? Do I need to make a mixture then of Vaseline, oil, and A + D ointment? Their vents are clear, as of last night. Thank you for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom