Hard knot on pullet's back

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
1000002392.jpg

My husband saw one of the other pullets pecked her and picked her up. He noticed this very hard lesion (?) On her back. I soaked her in Epsom salts - which she loved. Treated her with vetricyn and, after it dried, rubbed her with some Vaseline. She is spending some time separated. I'm not sure what caused this - but it wasn't from this incident. It seems old, but was completely covered between her wings so we never noticed it until today. Treading usually occurs on the girls lower back, right? This is closer to the top.

Is there something else I should do to treat her?

She is an 8 mo cream leg bar.

Last edited:
Thank you! So, I am thinking a hen saddle would help then. I live in Florida though and was concerned about the heat. Also, so many of them have such terrible reviews on Amazon - or are clearly left in exchange for free stuff. Is there one you would recommend for a small girl in a hot climate?
@Wyorp Rock @Rose the Legbar @CoopBoots

I agree that looks like a spur injury. I would just clean it and keep some antibiotic ointment on it. I have taken some old thick polar fleece about 7x9 inches or smaller, and cut 2 wing slits and those make good hen saddles. You can trim excess after they are on, and no sewing. Something stretchy is best. They are held on by the wings and the slits should be about 2 inches, just enough to slide them on. It probably would not have to be on for too long to help the wound heal. Here is the shape of the ones I made in a different material:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

I agree that looks like a spur injury. I would just clean it and keep some antibiotic ointment on it. I have taken some old thick polar fleece about 7x9 inches or smaller, and cut 2 wing slits and those make good hen saddles. You can trim excess after they are on, and no sewing. Something stretchy is best. They are held on by the wings and the slits should be about 2 inches, just enough to slide them on. It probably would not have to be on for too long to help the wound heal. Here is the shape of the ones I made in a different material:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html
Thank you. How warm does this get being made from fleece? We are already having almost 80 degree days.

I am not good with a sewing machine at all (as in, I have never even turned one on) so I do love how easy this is. So thank you so much for that!

Chickens have downy feathers, so they regulate their temperature by panting, much like a dog. You mainly need to hide the wound to protect it from pecking, so you could experiment with fabrics. It could be an old TShirt or a light weight stretchy fleece. Those microfiber dust cloths would be okay as well, and are the right size to start with. The length of the slits may have to be adjusted. Too long may come off easily, but too small, and you can’t get it over the wings. Be prepared for the others to freak out when they see her in a hen saddle, but they will quickly settle down. Mine wipers bright orange, LOL. You can even put it on her at night, and then they should be okay in the am.

Chickens have downy feathers, so they regulate their temperature by panting, much like a dog. You mainly need to hide the wound to protect it from pecking, so you could experiment with fabrics. It could be an old TShirt or a light weight stretchy fleece. Those microfiber dust cloths would be okay as well, and are the right size to start with. The length of the slits may have to be adjusted. Too long may come off easily, but too small, and you can’t get it over the wings. Be prepared for the others to freak out when they see her in a hen saddle, but they will quickly settle down. Mine wipers bright orange, LOL. You can even put it on her at night, and then they should be okay in the am.
Thank you. I have some old shirts. I will try that. So the point is - it just has to hide her injury from others? It doesn't have to protect her from a mating boy?

Back
Top Bottom