Am I Doing This Correctly? Pic added

I'm going to say that was what she was trying to pass. Hopefully she will start perking up.
Do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell on hand? If you do, then direct dose her at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. Try to get some extra calcium into her. You can crunch up a TUMS and stick the little pieces in her beak or I grind it up finely and sprinkle over scrambled egg. (Tums does not mix well or dissolve in water, don't waste your time LOL Believe me, I've tried). Watch to see if she's drinking, you can also make her a little wet soupy feed she may like that.

IF she is moving about a little and no one is bothering her, I would leave her with the flock. Some don't mind separation, but I've found that most of mine do better if they can hang out, even if they find a quiet corner. Sometimes a buddy may even come and sit with them for a while.
I will try the Nutri Drench, but she's awfully leery of me after yesterday's shenanigans. She is walking around now, which is already better than yesterday. I made a mash of pellet, water, nutri drench, and tums, but she wants no part of it yet.

I'm watching closely, though.

I will try the Nutri Drench, but she's awfully leery of me after yesterday's shenanigans. She is walking around now, which is already better than yesterday. I made a mash of pellet, water, nutri drench, and tums, but she wants no part of it yet.
I'm watching closely, though.
If she is leery right now, you may need to go into observation mode.
See how she's doing later in the day. She may have another egg in the pipeline and just needs a little time to work on that.
You can always grab her tonight when it's dark if you need to.

She is doing much better! She's wandering the yard and eating again. I won't feel 100% assured until she lays a good egg again. And she's an inconsistent layer, so that might not happen for days. Good thing I can tell my girls' eggs apart.

Thanks, everyone, for helping. I read about these little problems constantly so that I'll be prepared when they happen in my own flock. But reading about them and experiencing them are two different things! Even though I've seen lots of posts about this exact thing and I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, I was sure worried last night.

UPDATE: Iris is def feeling better since passing that icky egg. I'm not 100% convinced that she's back to normal, though. When I put them to bed tonight (i.e. locked them in the coop for the night), her crop had some food in it, but it was a lil squishy. Normally, it's like she's smuggling a tennis ball under her feathers. I got her to eat a bit of Tums and Nutri Drench, and she wandered the yard as per usual most of the day. She even jumped in her favorite chair.

If her crop is empty in the morning, I will be much happier. And if she lays a nice egg with a properly formed shell, I will be even happier.

Glad that she is feeling a little better. An egg like that can be exhausting for them it seems.
You did mention that she had yolk/albumen leaking from her vent? Did that stop? I would definitely keep watch on her for a few days, see if the crop is emptying.

Please keep us posted.
Her bum was nice and clean (as far as chicken bumps go).

Can't sleep tonight. Work stress. Instead, I'm shopping for chicken related things (books, decor, clothing....). Cheap therapy, right?

Her bum was nice and clean (as far as chicken bumps go).

Can't sleep tonight. Work stress. Instead, I'm shopping for chicken related things (books, decor, clothing....). Cheap therapy, right?
:hugs I hope you were finally able to get some sleep and you find that your girl is much better this morning.

I'm baaaaaack.....

Iris hasn't laid yet. She usually lays every other day. It's been 3 days since the shelless egg. When should I start to worry?

Also, since I've been keeping a very close eye on her, I've noticed that Zinnia, my BR, had been kinda mean to her. I'm wondering if Iris hasn't been eating enough pellets because Zinnia chases her off from the feeder. Iris just goes into the yard and free ranges. I'm wondering if that contributed to her egg mishap by depriving her of calcium and whatnot.

2 questions arise:

1) Is it possible Zinnia's pecking is contributing (or even causing) Iris's egg problems?
2) Would getting more feeders help? I only have one at present because I only have 4 birds. I also ordered a scale from Amazon so I can track her weight better to see what's going on with her diet.

Ok, 3 questions:
3) Is there anything else I should be doing?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom