Am I feeding my ducks the right food?

duck rookie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
I am so new to raising ducks and chickens... I am not sure if I am feeding my ducks a good diet. I have asked the local store where I buy their food and they seem not to know since my ducks and chickens sleep together and eat together. I am feeding them Layer pellets. On the bag it states its good for all birds. They also get watermelon, zuchinni, tomatoes all from my garden
big_smile.png

My garden is ruined LOL.. is there something else I need to give them?? My male duck has a bum leg and he was like that since I got him when he was a tiny baby. it only bothers him when it is hot and humid and he pants.When it is cooler he is fine. I wondering if he isn't getting the right nutrition. The female duck is fine. They are 4 months old.

4 month olds should NOT be on layer pellets. That is too much calcium for their bodies to process. Do you have flock raiser in your area? That would be your best bet.

Also male birds should never be fed layer pellets. It can cause serious damage to their kidneys.

Also male birds should never be fed layer pellets. It can cause serious damage to their kidneys.
What?! So how am I to stop my roosters eating the hens food? What about all my pigeons and doves that steal the layers pellets - many of them are male.

I have fed my male and female ducks and chickens layers pellets mixed with uncooked rice for many years and never had a problem. I do feed other foods also like vegetable and all the birds free range over a large area.

What?! So how am I to stop my roosters eating the hens food? What about all my pigeons and doves that steal the layers pellets - many of them are male.

I have fed my male and female ducks and chickens layers pellets mixed with uncooked rice for many years and never had a problem. I do feed other foods also like vegetable and all the birds free range over a large area.
I feed Purina Flock raiser, it's for all flocks and all stages of life, and put out Oyster shell on the side for my egg layers.

So how do I seperate the food? They are all free range .. and have the same food container and they eat and sleep together. ?? how do I separate that?

So how do I seperate the food? They are all free range .. and have the same food container and they eat and sleep together. ?? how do I separate that?
You can't. That's why I would suggest a Multi Stage feed such as Flock Raiser.

I feed Purina Flock raiser, it's for all flocks and all stages of life, and put out Oyster shell on the side for my egg layers.
This is what I do as well. It's the best suitable for method for both sexes in my situation.

Back
Top Bottom