Am i giving to many treats?

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I have been giving my flock (of 8 ) in the morning 4 tsp of oatmeal, sometime dry, moist or cooked. Now that its zucchini season I slice 1 in half and they pick at it on and off during the day. And since its been so hot mid day I cut up a dozen or so grapes and chill them to help cool the birds down. Am I over doing it? They have not had any grain, just the grower, there 14 weeks old and are not free ranged.

I have been giving my flock (of 8 ) in the morning 4 tsp of oatmeal, sometime dry, moist or cooked. Now that its zucchini season I slice 1 in half and they pick at it on and off during the day. And since its been so hot mid day I cut up a dozen or so grapes and chill them to help cool the birds down. Am I over doing it? They have not had any grain, just the grower, there 14 weeks old and are not free ranged.
I'm in the same exact situation. My first group of birds are 15 weeks old, my second are 10 weeks old. At present I have a total of 9 chickens. We are rehoming 3 cockerels :(. It has been in the 90s here and very hot. I usually give them scratch in the morning (wild bird feed, not too much crack corn, which builds up heat internally), to keep the first batch away from the young batch of chicks while I put them in their cage in the run. I usually have frozen berries and cold watermelon for when it gets really hot in the day and cucumbers, also broccoli, brussel sprouts & kale leaves, all straight from my gardens. We have an enclosed run, my German Sheperd is not chicken friendly, no free range here. I also give them a small amount of black fly larva before bedtime. They still eat a good bit of chick starter/grow feed and search for bugs. I spoke with my uncle (he kept about 200 chickens, show birds, pets and livestock), this is what he told me, make sure they are still eating the grower chick feed, leafy greens and veggies are good, limit spinach to only small amounts, fruit is a treat, so should be in small quantities (but frozen on hot days, is great for cooling them down0. Try to stay away from anything processed, but if you do indulge, make it very far and few, especially in hot months. Crack corn is good for cool weather will help build body heat. I have never given my birds oatmeal. I may try that in the fall. Anyway, he told me to watch the chicks, see how they respond (foraging, healthy, energy level wise). I wish you much success with your flock!!

I'm in the same exact situation. My first group of birds are 15 weeks old, my second are 10 weeks old. At present I have a total of 9 chickens. We are rehoming 3 cockerels :(. It has been in the 90s here and very hot. I usually give them scratch in the morning (wild bird feed, not too much crack corn, which builds up heat internally), to keep the first batch away from the young batch of chicks while I put them in their cage in the run. I usually have frozen berries and cold watermelon for when it gets really hot in the day and cucumbers, also broccoli, brussel sprouts & kale leaves, all straight from my gardens. We have an enclosed run, my German Sheperd is not chicken friendly, no free range here. I also give them a small amount of black fly larva before bedtime. They still eat a good bit of chick starter/grow feed and search for bugs. I spoke with my uncle (he kept about 200 chickens, show birds, pets and livestock), this is what he told me, make sure they are still eating the grower chick feed, leafy greens and veggies are good, limit spinach to only small amounts, fruit is a treat, so should be in small quantities (but frozen on hot days, is great for cooling them down0. Try to stay away from anything processed, but if you do indulge, make it very far and few, especially in hot months. Crack corn is good for cool weather will help build body heat. I have never given my birds oatmeal. I may try that in the fall. Anyway, he told me to watch the chicks, see how they respond (foraging, healthy, energy level wise). I wish you much success with your flock!!
oh, no nuts, in the wild bird feed. I'm not sure if any have nuts, but I made sure the one I got had none (only seeds and a little crack corn).

I think you are ok considering most if your treats are fruit/veggies and not grass or mealworms, if you are concerned I'd just stop giving the oatmeal.

FYI, it’s a myth that corn “builds heat in chickens”. Corn is considered a “hot” food, but this is due to calories and not temperature. Humans don’t get hot eating candy and the same is true of chickens that eat corn. We both just get fat if we eat too much. ;)

Oats are not terribly nutritious, but 4 teaspoons for 8 birds is not a lot. Grapes and zucchini are mostly water. I think you are fine with what you are doing.

They would be so upset missing the oatmeal, been giving oatmeal since around 4 weeks old. There at the gate waiting for it in the morning.
Well try maybe every other day then, I'm sure they will quickly forget that they missed their corn, also you could give them a fruit or veggies on the morning to make up for the loss of oatmeal

They would be so upset missing the oatmeal, been giving oatmeal since around 4 weeks old. There at the gate waiting for it in the morning.
Instead of oatmeal, make mash (water mixed with food until moist). My girls act like mash is a treat, even though it's just their food in a different form.

Back
Top Bottom