Am I in the Pecking Order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommabice, Mar 20, 2012.

1. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    The two most dominate girls (who are 5 weeks old today) are jumping at me like they do the other girls. I take them outside and they jump at each other and then try to jump and peck at me. What gives? I didn't think I was in the pecking order.

2. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Teenagers....always seeing what they can get away with. I think this is just a phase, you are the top hen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Good. I have to be "top hen" with someone...my one year old son certainly does not think I am. lol.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    you are in the pecking order, so better make sure they know you are top hen...

5. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

How exactly do you prove it to them?

6. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Originally Posted by rendezvous1838 [​IMG]
    There are different schools of thought on this. While some people feel you are a part of the pecking order and you must use violence to establish this...I have found this means constantly re-establishing your dominance in an endless cycle of aggression. Instead, I do not see myself as part of the pecking order. I'm there for food, water, and shelter...not to be a chicken.

When my rooster hit adolescence he did some testing pecks. Luckily this was in winter and I withstood his pecks on my gloves and boots without any reaction whatsoever. It became as boring to him as pecking a wall. For about two weeks he'd do 30 sec to 1 min of testing pecks each morning, but then that phase ended and he's never done it again. And, even during this phase he never became truly aggressive since I never "upped" the game by hitting or kicking him.

I consciously treat my chickens very differently than I would my dogs. While I teach a new puppy not to nip immediately when it begins to happen, I understand that chickens are poultry, not mammals, and operate on a different system.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by